1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Zelda - Saving game

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by game_keen, Apr 5, 2010.

1. game_keen

game_keen Member

Ok so I'm using No$GBA 2.6a via Winehelper (because I have a Mac). I'm using it for DS games. I downloaded Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but I'm having a problem while trying to save the game properly.

I thought changing to the 512kbit NDS Cartridge Backup Media save (in Emulation set up) would work, and as far as I know it was working before, but now it doesn't seem to update properly.

For example, somehow I was able to save the game up to an early part of the story, yet Link appears outside the front of a dungeon/cave I got through. So I'm also wondering if the game works by checkpoint saves? Because no matter where I save on the map, I always end up back there, and I have to play it through again. It's wasting my time, I'm thinking it's not updating properly or am I just not getting far enough in the game? I would think it's a save formatting problem, despite the fact that it says "successfully saved".

I tried to post in an older thread but I couldn't for some reason, so sorry if this issue has already been covered. I can't figure out what's wrong. I've looked at the Common Issues sticky but I don't see this addressed.

2. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

For saving, you should use Auto in NDS Cartridge Backup Media.

3. game_keen

game_keen Member

There seems to be no difference. I've heard that it doesn't always work either. :(

Do I need to delete the old save file or make a new save slot for the difference to take effect?

4. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

Well I never use it on Mac so I can't be sure, but it's more common to use Auto for the Save Type.
    Try a new save game to test it out first.

5. game_keen

game_keen Member

Ok well starting a new game seemed to work better. I checked by resetting the cartridge and going back into the game, which worked good.

I then quit the whole program and came back, but the save slots weren't there. Weird.

6. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

The save files usually gone if the no$gba close in the wrong way.
    For example if the program have error and such.

7. game_keen

game_keen Member

Cool it looks like I've got this sorted.

Basically I just had to quit the Emulator properly and leave the save options set to auto. I didn't fully realize I could quite the emulator, rather than lazily quitting NO$GBA.

Also I think I've learned that the save's are not location specific, but you restart from the last entry point in the area you saved.

Thanks. ;)

8. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Your save file can only be updated to the recent save you made if you close the emulator properly.

Just make sure to save the configuration if you make any changes to it.