1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Your thoughts on technology and advancemets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Annanelle, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your opinion on today's and ther future's technology?

1. I'm all for Artificial Intelligence, and any thing else is great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm worried about Artificial Intelligence, and any thing else is great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm all for Artificial Intelligence, but other tecnologies worry me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm worried about Artificial intelligence, and other technologies worry me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I dont know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Annanelle

Annanelle Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I'm doing a school assingment that requires me to gather some peoples opinions on technology, so i thought i'd ask you guys.
    i'm interested in your povs about AI, the internet, gaming, email, phones, technology's effects on copyright or anything else!
    More expanded answers would be wonderful
    thankyou all so much
    Annanelle
    (sorry if this it the wrong place to post this, i could't find anywhere else)

2. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

TECHNOLOGY IS FUCKING AWESOME!

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Though I can live without it.

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

That. ::)

5. Annanelle

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It has changed the way we think, live, and know what the world is about and you can find out just about anything in a few minutes. :p

7. dino340

dino340 Well-Known Member

Electronics scare me, how i get here? i am not good with computer!

8. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

Well, Artificial Intelligence i think is something to be embraced, if we can create robots or programs that can figure things out, then that's great. As long as we don't program anything into the brain that would give it any sense of self preservation, it should all be ok.

I don't care much for cell phones though, I went my whole life up until a year ago without a cell phone, I think i can go without it again.

9. Stanley Richards

Littlekill, thats the first serious thing I've seen you say.

10. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Technology is evil! all I need in life is a bike, a boat and a 20ft long island.

11. Stanley Richards

Funny, aren't you technology yourself?

12. Corriger

Corriger Well-Known Member

1. Virtual Reality Helms

Prototype helmet would most likely cause some severe problems, inducing hallucinations, random fits of madness, or something else along those lines.

2. Artificial Intelligence

In most movies I've seen that contains an A.I., they have always gone rampant; Terminator, Eagle Eye and I, Robot to name a few. Unless we could program some kinds of protocols to make sure the A.I.s don't go homicidal on us, like in the Halo Universe, then we shouldn't make any attempts to create a "data entity" (computers and other machines like that) that is self-aware.

13. Annanelle

haha, don't forget the matrix

14. ChristMonkey95

ChristMonkey95 Well-Known Member

I'm a little iffy on AI. Like Corriger said, all the scenarios in movies where AI turns against us could definitely happen. However, people are so stupid these days* that AI would probably be a great replacement.

*Most people on here are very intelligent, which is why I love this site.

15. kingvxx

kingvxx Well-Known Member

So you're okay with the technology that we built from our own hand turn against us and take control us?Is that what you're trying to say?

Though i don't see it coming with the current technology.Maybe at the next 30-40 years but definitely not now.Unless some mad scientist building it w/o the government approval.

16. mkdavid42

mkdavid42 New Member

I'd have to say I'm both for and against technology. Technology definitely has been making life easier for people, namely in the fields of communications and accessibility. On the other hand, as the power of technology increases, so does its likelihood of being used for immoral or amoral functions, and its capacity to addict users.

I'd like to bring up the concept of the use of virtual reality to illustrate my point. On the one hand, it could be used for providing experiences that people could never have otherwise, like a tour of the deepest parts of the ocean. It could serve as a means of wish fulfillment, allowing people to be superhuman in their virtual worlds. And it could be used for gaming, which I'm sure we'll all agree would be awesome despite giving loved ones another reason to call gamers out on not living in the real world.
    But on the other hand, we have to take into account the addictions such technology could cause. Why would anyone live in a normal world if they could live in a world free of consequence, where they hold all of the power? And what if these machines capable a virtual world could alter the chemicals in the human brain- a likely ability assuming holographic technology is not involved and we need to rely on machines that could come from some fusion of the Matrix and Avatar- chemicals which affect perception and emotion? Theoretically, you could keep someone a hostage in their own mind by using such technology, simply by strapping them to a chair and giving their brain the message that staring at a concrete wall is the most entertaining ting they've done in their entire life. And if such technology is invented, what's to stop a company, government, or individual from adding a similar routine to the next greatest game?

And on the note of artificial intelligence, what happens if the machine somehow develops a soul? At which point does use of a robot servant become slavery, or use of a sex-bot (come on, you KNOW there's going to be a sex-bot that works at some point in the future) become rape? (Hint: It's when they start weeping to themselves before shutdown in a fetal position)

But going back to less-hypothetical times, I have to say I'm all for technology. There's a lot at risk, but there's also a lot to be gained. Moreover, technology is not intrinsically evil. If it is employed for dark purposes, then that's more the user's fault than it is the device's.

Was that expanded enough for your assignment, or do you think you need more? (Sorry for the text, block by the way... )

17. Annanelle

Nah, that was great! If only everyone could write more than one sentence. :)

I'm writing my assignment this week, so if anyone has more to say, by all means say it

thanks guys
    Post Merge: [time]1276496786[/time]
    Okay, a question for those of you who voted that you didn't care.
    Why don't you care? What makes technology an unimportant topic?
    there's an empty space in my presentation for your answer

infact, anyone else who wants to explain their answer will have flowers showered upon them from above!
    thanks

18. crin

crin New Member

The reason I said I don't care is that technologies on their own don't do anything. It is when people use them that there are dangers and benefits. When have far fewer pickpockets these days and far more people stealing credit card numbers and for the same reasons. The dangers and benefits tend to balance out for the most part. Though I think that so far there has been a bit more good than bad, who knows what will happen.

In the end people will decide if they will make some kind of utopia or robots so poorly controlled that they attack and kill us all. Or anything in between.