1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Yikes. What if I already upgraded to 1.4?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by PeachMilk, May 28, 2010.

1. PeachMilk

PeachMilk Well-Known Member

Before I buy an Acekard 2i I want to make sure I can download everything I need. Then I hit the wall:
    Browsing this forum, I'm getting the idea you need a DS lite/phat if you want to upgrade the Acekard?

...Oh boy. I don't have either. My DSi is at version 1.4, too.
    Is there any other way? I'm very, very new with all this, so try to dumb it down as much as possible.

Thank you~

2. linkfan551

linkfan551 Well-Known Member

Sorry, no. You need one of the following to upgrade your Ak2i to 1.4

-DSi v1.3 or below
    -DS Lite
    -DS Phat

Some shops may offer to flash it to 1.4 use before shipping, try to find one that does.

3. PeachMilk

No good.

Thank you for the speedy reply, though.
    If anyone finds a website that can do that before I do please do inform me. My luck with finding fakes are too high for my own good.

4. linkfan551

Where are you located, so we can find a shop for you?

5. PeachMilk

You can actually go to a store to do that? I thought you meant online.

Try putting in Portland, Maine.

6. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

You could ask a friend with a DS Lite (to always be sure it works).

7. linkfan551

I do mean online. I just refer to them as shops. If there were actual stores, they'd be sued pretty damn fast.

I get all my carts from RHS, http://realhotstuff.com/acekard-free-shipping-p-321.html

It is stated updated for 1.4.

8. PeachMilk

Thank you, kind sir! You saved me from wasting money elsewhere.

Their micro cards are pretty expensive, though...

Aside from that, I am pleased. Thank you again.

9. linkfan551

I never got a MicroSD from them, so I cannot vouch for their authenticity.
    I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208453&cm_re=8GB_Microo_SD-_-20-208-453-_-Product

10. PeachMilk

Sorry to sound like a dumbass. I just don't want to mess anything up. But it doesn't matter what kind of card you get, right?

Thank you for the link!

11. linkfan551

It does.

Brands and classes matter a lot. Some games may not work on lower class cards (Class 2), and cheaper brand cards may have a higher defective rate and/or slow speeds.
    The one I linked you, the Transcend one, is the one I have, and I have had no problems with it.

When you get your MicroSD card, you MUST format it with Panasonic formatter.
    http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=6027

It formats the card to the proper specifications. Failing to do so can cause problems.

People say Kingston is better, but I have had nothing but trouble with any Kingston product I've ever had. (RAM, Flash Drives, MSD cards)

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Sandisk are the recommended microsd brand.

13. yoshi2889

I mostly have trouble with my Transcend Micro SD but I always am able to solve it.

My R4i SDHC Upgrade won't read homebrew from it, and the original R4 SDHC firmware is SLOOOOW.
    And I always get Rom load errcode=-5 errors when loading -4 code games, with the latest INFOLIB (officially for YSMenu but GAMEINFO.DAT is the same)

YSMenu works great, though, it won't work on my R4i SDHC Upgrade.

I don't recommended Transcend.

14. PeachMilk

I think I’ll take Loonylion’s brand on this. Thank you, you three.

I have a separate issue now, though.
    While following this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VP_c6kwlc ) guide to setting up the Acekard I have an issue. At 2:37 on the video there are two icons, the folder and a document, it seems. Well, I have the folder, but for the icon it’s an error icon. (Which I cannot screen print, since this computer is so old I don’t have photoshop nor paint on it.)

I extracted both files with 7-zip and this happens.
    But when I do click on the icon I get this (just a different file name and the border has a more "modern" look) :
    [​IMG]

Even if Windows can’t open it, will it be able to even work on the MicroSD card? Or should I just give up trying to get this Acekard thing to even work?

Sorry for the 20 questions game.

15. Loonylion

whats the file name it cant open?

16. PeachMilk

Ah, I'm sorry for not including that. I had to rewrite what I was going to post and forgot to add that.

"akmenu4.nds".

17. Loonylion

nope windows wont be able to run that file, but your flashcart will

18. PeachMilk

So I still can get this to work? I'm glad my hours of trying to do this isn't going to waste. Thank you!

I've been wondering, but for future reference for myself : does it matter if you're on a pretty old computer? I'm on a Windows XP Professional Version 2002. I just want to make sure everything will download and work correctly, before I go off buying cards.

19. yoshi2889

You need to have the update files, and a friend with a DS / DS Lite.

20. Loonylion

what computer you use is pretty irrelevant so long as it can extract rar files and has a usb port