1. This forum is in read-only mode.

XBox 360 Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by someirishkid, Oct 24, 2009.

1. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

My internet is wireless, and is on the complete opposite side of the house to my 360.
    Therefore, I must buy this Wireless Adapter thing, and wherever I look, it's outragously expensive!
    I was wondering if there could be an unofficial one that's cheap, or if anyone found a good offer.
    Thanks!

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

the cheap ones are unreliable.

Can't you move the xbox closer and just use a cheaper cable?

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

If you have a laptop you can hook it up on there and bridge the connection from the laptop to the wireless signal.

I think you can buy another wireless router and you can bridge that with the one connected with the internet connection. http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/10/02/how-to-cheap-wireless-for-your-xbox-360/

The first suggestion you can find on the Xbox site, I'm pretty sure, I can't check for it on that site but the Xbox site doesn't work well with the PS3.

There's also no such thing as an unofficial one.

I'm pretty damn sure that the second solution I suggested is a bit out of your league in terms of making it work, it sounds complicated to get working if you don't get the linksys WRT54G router (strangely, it's the one we have here). It's a lot easier buying the adaptor, even if it is 100$.

4. someirishkid

Hmm... I'll check out the laptop thing, thanks!

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The official wireless adapter is expensive... but it is pretty much bulletproof, and works perfectly.

My only complaint is that they don't (or at least didn't, when I bought it) sell black models for the 360 Elites.

6. someirishkid

The laptop thing is called "bridging", when you connect to the 360, and to the internet, and then on the laptop you "bridge" them.

How do i connect my laptop to my 360 console?

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ethernet crossover cable.

8. TirithRR

I believe the Xbox 360 Ethernet port is an auto-crossover sensing port, and can work with either Crossover or Straight Thru.

I came home from college and my father had wired up the house with some spare Ethernet cables, only terminated on one end. I terminated the other end and used it on my 360. Little did I know that he wired up the other ends backwards, so I had made a Crossover cable unknowingly. It worked just fine on my Xbox, but when I tried to use it on my PC it wouldn't. So I took apart both ends and rewired it to straight thru, and it works on both my PC and Xbox 360. So the 360 worked with either a Crossover or Straight Thru.

9. someirishkid

Where is the slot for the ethernet cable on the 360?

10. TirithRR

In the back?

11. someirishkid

Good guess :D