1. This forum is in read-only mode.

'Write Protection'?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ProwlingStorm, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Hi, I'm having a problem. When I try to add/remove games from my R4, I get the following message: "Cannot copy -game name here-: the disk is write-protected. Please remove the write-protection or use another disk".

This happens when I insert my R4 MicroSD 2GB chip (which is in the MicroSD USB 2.0) into the computer, open it through My Computer, and try to put games on or try to take games off. I've tried Google-ing the problem, and there were results, but they didn't help me. The majority of them advised looking for a little switch on the chip, but the question that they had posed had been concerning a different SD chip, and not for a R4.

If you need any another information, just ask.
    Thanks

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Check your adapter for the computer. Some have a write protection switch on them, similar to old Floppy Disks.

3. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Is the USB the same thing as the adapter? (sorry, not so good with computer lingo, could you direct me through it if something like that comes up again? =D) Because if it is, I've checked the USB and the R4 MicroSD chip and there's nothing there.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Ya, the USB thing is the Adapter.

Try backing up your files (copy them to your computer) and formatting the MicroSD.

Do you have any other method of connecting it to your computer? A different adapter? If formatting doesn't work, try a different adapter, otherwise the MicroSD may have failed.

5. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Okay, I'll try backing them up now. Yeah, I figured it might have been the adapter because my brother couldn't get it working either. But I should have another adapter lying around here somewhere. But I'll back-up and format them first, or try to anyways.

6. AcroneSF

AcroneSF Well-Known Member

isnt there usualy a lock - unlock slider thing?

7. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Tirith: When I attempt to format it, it gives me the following options: "File System: FAT32 or FAT", "Volume label", and "Quick Format". I'm pretty sure I pick FAT32, and leave the other stuff blank, but when I do that it says: "WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on the disk. To format the disk, click OK. To quit, click CANCEL." So I hit OK, but then it says "The disk is write protected."

Edit: Acrone: I've checked for that, and there isn't one.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it could be on either the card or the adaptor.

9. deank27

deank27 Well-Known Member

the same thing happened to my friend's r4... if the r4 didnt have a switch check if the usb that u put ur r4 chip in if it has a switch. because that how i solved my friend's problem

10. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Loony and deank: I've double, triple, and quadruple checked not only today, but a couple days ago too. I Googled a bit more, and I think I MIGHT have found the problem. I remember pulling it out a couple times without doing the 'Safely remove' thing, and that may have done it. But if it did and that is the reason, is there a way to fix that? And if possible, I could try to upload a picture of my adapter/microchip, and if anyone had a similar or same one they could point out a switch.

I'll do anything I can!!! Any and all help is accepted!!!

11. deank27

i don't think not doin the the safely remove hardware is the problem because i never do that with mine xD and yes, a picture would probably help. :)

12. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

How do I add images? I took them off a digital camera, but dunno how to add it to the forum :-\

13. diskjocki

diskjocki Well-Known Member

First, go onto a site like Photobucket and upload the picture, copy the code (should look something like this, (http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/bluez571/anime.gif), Click on reply, click on the "insert image" button and paste the image code.

14. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Awwww gotta use it off of another site haha okay, it'll take a while though. Thanks

15. rchuncleskeleton

rchuncleskeleton Well-Known Member

My Guess is that somehow you made the card read only at some point or some setting got corrupted, if you can't get the card to format in windows you might need to get a memory card formatting utility. Here's a link to Panasonics SD Card formatting utility, this is supposedly one of the best ones and it's free.

Panasonic SD Formatter

16. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

Re: \\\'Write Protection\\\'?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attempt at images...
    Post Merge: [time]1247114169[/time]
    Kay, so that didnt work. I'll just give the site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40266109@N07/

That shud be it
    Post Merge: [time]1247112208[/time]
    Aw man, was hoping that would work rchuncle, but it still say's it's write-protected =((( Any other ideas, guys?

17. deank27

hmmm u have the same as mine o_O did u try using a different USB? if it works with a different usb then the usb is the one with problems but if it still doesn't work then i guess it
    s the r4.. really sry i can't help much since i have the same stuff as your and i didnt encounter that problem.:( but i'll try my best to help u out :)

18. ProwlingStorm

ProwlingStorm Member

I don't think trying to format it is the solution, but rather a way to remove the write-protection, because so far no matter how I try to format it the same problem comes up :/ It's write protected. Unless the format would somehow be able to bypass the write-protection :/ Oh well, I'll still try anything you guys can give me =D Thanks for the effort everyone.

Edit: deank: =D thanks, I'll try looking for my other adapter, but gotta do that tmrw. gotta go for today. keep posting, who ever reads this =D i'll read it when i get on.

Edit: btw, there's a link to Flickr, hope it works...don't really know how to do it all pro-like, but if it works, it shud be fine

19. deank27

kk gud luck guess i'll try to help u tomorrow 'cause it's already midnight here....;)

20. mail090

mail090 Member

i think there might be programs that you could use to format the card without getting the wright protection error?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.