1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"World's Worst Olympic Swimming Trial"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Void, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I didn't want to put this in the Olympics topic, because it's more than a general discussion. This video makes me smile, it makes me feel bad, it makes me feel inspired, watch it on your own first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYG6Uq6OVU

Note that this is an OLD video, another reason I didn't put it in the other topic. Let me first say that you have to feel sorry for those first two guys that jump into the pool early, but hey -- that's their loss, and it's also quite humerous, I'd say. But here's when my anger comes. Eric Moussambani has to swim alone. You should know this bit about Eric...

"... Before coming to the Olympics, Moussambani had never seen a 50 m (160 ft) long Olympic-size swimming pool. He took up swimming only 8 months before the Olympics and had practiced in a 20 m (66 ft) pool at a hotel in Malabo ..."

Yeah, that's right. This guy has been swimming for eight god damn months in a 20 meter pool at a hotel in his country. He has become exceptionally good for having only swam for 8 months, and these commentators have the nerve to mock him like this? I smiled at the humour in the situation, was inspired by this man's will, but was shot down by the ignorance by people who live more polished lives. Could you even imagine showing up at the Olympics to represent your country if you had only been swimming less than a year? If you knew how terrible you would appear when compared to the competition? This guy has balls. To quote the Olympic Creed, "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

You should now know that Moussambani has become an excellent swimmer since this, against all odds, against all mockery. What great Olympic spirit. So with this, I say, Eric Moussambani; great fucking job. And may these Olympics be fantastic. :)

2. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Funny one, He almost was like drowning

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

That would have been so embarassing.

4. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Ah I remember Eric...
    Pity he couldn't compete in Athens...