1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wireless Internet Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boredsimon, Aug 1, 2012.

1. boredsimon

boredsimon Well-Known Member

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone would help me fix my wireless internet issues.

For some reason, in intervals of 30secs or 60secs, my internet experiences a sudden lag spike.
    Using cmd to do "ping google.com -t" shows a steady 30-40ish ms latency. And every 30 or 60 secs, my internet experiences a lag spike of somewhere around 200-1000ms latency.

I would like to ask anyone to help me with this issue.
    ------------------------------
    Here are some basic computer specifications

-Dell Optiplex 745 Mini Tower
    -Windows XP Professional 32bit
    -Nvidia Geforce GT 620
    -2Gb RAM
    -320Gb HardDrive Space
    And here are my router and Wireless Network adapter information

Router = Netgear WNDR3400 N600 Dual Band Wireless Router

Wireless Adapter = Dlink DWA-130 Revision C F/W 1.3.0

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

can you use a cable instead to determine if the latency is occurring within your network our outside?

3. boredsimon

I am not able to obtain an ethernet cable long enough...

4. Megiddo

Megiddo Active Member

I've had a similar problem(became most noticable when I was playing online games like League of Legends) and that problem boiled down to the Wireless-N support of my wireless adapter. My adapter claimed to have wireless-N support, but this was in actuality a draft version of it that it was supporting. My router, which was new and hooked up to 120 Mbps(so it needs to use wireless N to get to those speeds), uses the regular Wireless-N and the compatability between my adapter's draft version and the real deal apparently caused these issues, as after I gotten one of those USB wireless adapters(Linksys AE1000), the problem dissappeared.

No idea if the same applies to your situation, but this could atleast provide you an angle of what your issue might be.

5. boredsimon

Hmm...seems like you might have just hit the spot on my problem. I'll go out and buy a proper Wireless N Adapter.

This problem is a problem because it is interfering with my League of Legends game as well.

I'll check back to report if this fixes my problems.

Thank you so much