1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wireless Adapter, DeSmuME, and Hamachi

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Erevis, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Erevis

Erevis Member

So I have been planning to purchase a Wireless Adapter to turn my PC into a Wi-Fi spot for my Wii to access. It was only this morning that the thought came to me about using DeSmuME with a Wireless connection to access Wi-Fi, which I believe I had read something about a year or so ago when I was using it a lot to play the Pokemon games.

From all of the website browsing I've been doing, I've found a bunch of things. A few YouTube videos, which I can't watch via dialup. (Honestly, why is it always a video now instead of just a simple set of directions?)

Anyways, from what I've learned, I -think- this is how it has to go.

1) I install the Wireless Adapter, so it appears on my Network Connections under High-Speed/LAN.
    2) I have Hamachi installed, so it is located there as well.
    3) I have to select the Wireless and Hamachi together, to right click and select Bridge Connections.

4) After that, supposedly I can go into DeSmuME and select the WiFi options, normally AdHoc is all that is available, but from this, Infrastructure should be an option. I have to select the Hamachi Adapter.

After that, supposedly I can use the GTS to trade Pokemon and such. All I can guess at how it works is that DeSmuME runs into Hamachi, which is piggy-backing the Wireless Adapter, that is sharing the connection through my dialup modem.

Anyone more knowledgeable in this care to help me out or point me in the right direction?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

desmume would not need a wifi adaptor, and creating an actual wifi hotspot with a wireless adaptor is not straightforward.

3. Erevis

Erevis Member

Well, my Internet connection is through a dialup modem. And that wouldn't work with DeSmuME as it is, or at least I think not. The Wireless Adapter + Hamachi were to create a bridge that would trick DeSmuME into thinking I had a Wired connection, to enable Infrastructure in the options, whereby I could select the Hamachi adapter.

At least if I understand the stuff I've read for the past few hours.

If it works like the guide says, the Wireless Adapter should be taking in my connection and rebroadcasting it wireless as an Access Point for the Wii to connect with.

4. Loonylion

if you want to get your wii on the internet, theres no need for desmume. What you need is software that allows you to turn a wireless adaptor into an access point. I know linux can do it, but im not sure of any equivalent for windows. Additionally, if you bridge the wireless connection and your modem connection, your computer will lose all internet while the bridge is active (traffic can flow across the bridge but cannot originate from either of the interfaces in the bridge.)

I have my doubts that what you are trying to do will be successful with dial up.

5. Erevis

Erevis Member

Sorry, we have a little miscommunication here. :)

I was originally going to purchase the Wireless Adapter just so I could use it with my Wii.
    But then I thought I could use DeSmuME with it as well. (Not using the Wii on this part.)

As far as the Access Point, the MediaLink 150N I'm planning to purchase can act in that regard. It has Station Mode, where it is a receiver, and AP Mode, where it broadcasts.

The guide I have says I need the following for the Wii part.
    1) A computer that has access to the Internet
    2) A wireless router or a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (the MediaLink 150N can replace this)
    3) A Wii

You might be able to find the guide with Google by searching:
    Nintendo Wifi with dial-up Tutorial by nickjuly4

I'm fairly confident the Wii part will work. I just mentioned it because that's why I was buying the Wireless Adapter.

What I was mainly looking for help on is to see whether a bridge between Hamachi and the Wireless Adapter would allow DeSmuME to use that to connect, so in Pokemon I could get to trade pokemon and stuff.

The bridge wouldn't be from the Wireless to the Dialup Connection.

The way I understand it...theoretically at least, is this is how it would work.

[to run Dialup -> Wireless Adapter -> Wii]
    I had to edit the Dialup connection and make this option available:
    (Internet Connection Sharing) Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection
    That would allow the Wireless Adapter to connect through the ICS.
    Then the Wii is setup to access the IP of the Adapter.

[to run DeSmuME -> Hamachi -bridge- Wireless Adapter -> Dialup Connection]
    Basically this is an extension of the above. The Wireless Adapter would be acting similar to how it runs with the Wii, piggybacking on the dialup, without a bridge between the two. The Bridge would be between Hamachi and the Adapter, and DeSmuME could work with the Hamachi program.

6. Loonylion

and how would desmume connect to the access point?

7. Erevis

Erevis Member

Well the page I read said that in the Wi-Fi settings on DeSmuME, you set it to Infrastructure, and then select the Hamachi adapter.

As far as I can tell, the bridge between Hamachi and the Wireless Adapter in AP mode acts like the Access Point.

Hence the connection chain:
    DeSmuME <--- Hamachi -bridge- Wireless Adapter <--- Internet Connection

8. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

DeSmuMe WIFI feature don't work on dial-up connections, and it don't need wireless adaptors to go online. You need Broadband LAN connection.

9. Erevis

Erevis Member

Okay, so I got my MediaLink wireless adapter, and I've gotten a bit of success in setting this stuff up.

[Part 1]
    1. Installed Hamachi
    2. Installed WinPCap
    3. Installed the MediaLink software.
    4. Created a bridge between the MediaLink Wireless Network Connection (WNC) and Hamachi.

[Part 2]
    1. I turned Internet Connection Sharing on for my dialup PeoplePC connection.
    2. The three pieces of the Network bridge listed above now all say Connected, Bridged.

[Part 3]
    1. I turn Hamachi on.
    2. Running DeSmuME, I go to Wifi Settings, and Infrastructure is now available.
    3. I selected Hamachi Adapter in the Bridge Network Adapter under Infrastructure.

Now comes the tricky part, where I'm stumbling.
    In Pokemon Pearl, I'm trying to see if I can get a connection setup under the Nintendo Wi-Fi Setup.
    When I search for an Access Point, SoftAP comes up, as it says in the Wired tutorial.

I can connect the SoftAP, at least it says it connects in the Command Prompt style window that runs with DeSmuME. However, several errors are stopping the connection from being successful.

Usually after 5+ packets received, SoftAP will disconnect. And the error will either say it cannot connect, or it cannot obtain an IP.

I'm hoping someone might have an idea of where to go from here.