1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Windows 8 rumoured to support 360 games

Discussion in 'PC' started by Suiseiseki, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

www.metrowny.com/news-entertainment/archives/589-Windows_8_will_allow_for_Xbox_360_games_to_be_played_on_PCs.html

That's pretty much the pertinent information. You should go read the article anyway if you're not an imbecile, you will probably learn a bit more than what would happen if I tried to explain it - I'm bad at catering for the mouthbreather crowd. There's a lot of speculation you can make off this re: business strategies and next-gen console development, but I'm not really interested in bringing that into this thread because many of you wouldn't know a good business strategy if it headbutted you in the sack.

So what I'm actually looking for is at least semi-intelligent discussion on what this means for you as a gamer. Not Microsoft, not Sony. I'm kind of "meh" about it, games-wise. There are some decent games on 360, but much of the 360 library is available on the PC or the PS3 anyway. What I'm actually looking forward to is the chance to lord it over the 360 peasantry - my computer is around five years younger than the 360, so if the rumours are true then there is absolutely no basis for people saying the 360 is superior to the true PC gaming master race, as their single remaining weapon in that argument - their gaming library (which is mostly multiplatform anyway) - will be a non-issue. A decent computer doesn't red ring, doesn't explode. I can browse the internet and buy games off various other digital distributors. I can emulate older game systems. What possible reason could I have for getting a 360?

But anyway. Discuss.

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

If I wanted to play 360 games, I would get a used 360 for under $100. I don't want or need to pay $200 for a brand new operating system.

3. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

nah... its not really for the gamers... if window 8 support 360 games, they dont need to release a pc version for a 360 game anymore, so they save production cost....

4. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

It means I would be playing pirated 360 games on my pirated Windows 8 OS.

5. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

This pretty much, wonder what basic specs would be needed.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

just proves that the xbox 360 is a complete waste of money because it's just a crippled PC.

7. lewis9191

Not really, the price justifies how good its specs are.

8. Loonylion

not really, the specs aren't that good and you can get a basic PC with far more capabilities for a similar price.

9. lewis9191

Iv had my xbox for 5 years now. I think everybody knows PC will always have better specs for lower prices but my xbox seems fine for the price

10. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

Has anyone checked the sources? They all seem incredibly untrustworthy.

11. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

I'm also sceptical, they seem to be pulling information out of their asses.

I already have a 360, so this doesn't really interest me much. I generally prefer console gaming over PC gaming because I play games to relax and console gaming requires less effort than PC gaming; there are no driver issues, variable performance issues etc.
    The few games (when I say "games", in this instance, I'm talking about the big-budget, mainstream games) that I do play on PC are exceptional games that either can't be found on the consoles that I own or have benefits on PC beyond graphical perks (games like Fallout 3, TES: Oblivion etc have some truly incredible mods that increase the value of the game to me, for example).

If this feature/service has a fee that must be paid for playing games offline, I will not be interested in the slightest. If it somehow mirrors the convenience of playing games on the console, whilst fixing some of the issues that irritate me with console releases (the hideous lack of anti-aliasing, ugly textures, adding support for keyboard and mouse controls, adding mod support), then I would probably use it simply because I'll likely be running Windows 8 anyhow. And so, playing 360 games on my PC would be more desirable than playing them on my Xbox because the small amount of effort required to turn on my Xbox and insert a game would be removed from my life; and any feature that appeals directly to my sheer laziness is fairly likely to seduce me.
    More and more, I find myself using my lowly netbook/laptop for almost everything that I used to use my main PC for (the Web, work, emulation, non-demanding games, basic image editing etc). I do this because something that can meet most of my needs just well enough that I can be content most of the time wins out over something that does a few things many times better but requires me to not be lounging on my bed (or anywhere else, really) whilst I do it. My laptop is fairly fast, as far as laptops go, if I could run 360 games on it without any hassle then I would probably do so rather than play them on my 360.

The biggest drawback that I can think of would be the restrictions that will likely be put in place: will there be mod support? Will Microsoft put shitty DRM in place? Will the greater graphical capabilities of modern PCs be utilised, or will the games perform exactly as they would on an Xbox? Will Micro$oft create their own bastard Steam for downloading games (whilst making downloads the only way to play 360 games on PC, or else sell a crappy peripheral disc drive that must be purchased)?
    Microsoft's "Games for Windows" is generally considered the one of the main annoyances of modern PC gaming (along with other gaming companies' DRM), is giving them more control over PC gaming by throwing more money at them really a good idea?

TL;DR: If real, will probably have restrictions. If benefits outweigh irritations caused by restrictions, I may be interested. Micro$oft are evil, they fuck up everything related to PC gaming; so I'm doubtful that they could make this work though.

12. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I speculate for something like what Valve did with portal 2. You can choose to play Portal 2 either on your PS3 or on PC as long as you own it on Steam.

Oops, I forgot. it's Microsoft.

13. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

the reason they did that was because valve has their own digital distribution system. You can't say that to the hundreds of other developers who developed games for the xBox. You can't possibly expect Microsoft to add all of those games to another digital distribution system.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Valve didn't give you a PS3 copy when you bought the PC copy, it only worked the other way around.

The reason they didn't let Valve do this is because it incoporated Steam, MS doesn't really want much external sever sources into their system. The only one that is in XBL as of now is EA's servers, because they boycotted XBL way back when XBL first launched.

15. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

Console hater detected.

16. Loonylion

im not a console hater, I have 9 consoles.

17. Yutrzenika

Sure sounded like some console hating to me, but whatever.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Loony is a irregular troll.

19. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

lrn2english

Also, the 360 is just a crippled PC. It can be fun, but it is just a very out of date PC.

20. Yutrzenika

Pffft, who cares if it doesn't deliver life like graphics like PC, all that matters is having fun and enjoying good games, some of which PC doesn't get, I might add.