1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wii ISO's will not open

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dannymizer, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Dannymizer

Dannymizer Well-Known Member

I just recently added the homebrewchannel to my Wii, only took me several hours of trying to figure out why it would not install. Finally after swapping several sd cards and different remotes I got it installed. I had to install bootmii first then it went through the HBC install with no problem. Never was the sd's or remotes just needed the bootmii first.

Now my problem is I Downloaded 3 ISO's here and cannot extract them. They are: Bakugan-Defenders of the Core, Mario Party 8 & Mario Strikers-Charged. I used up most of my coins on these three and hope they are working and I'm not doing something wrong.

I was going to try and redownload but I needed to use points again so that is out of the question as I no longer have enough for one. I thought that once we downloaded we would no longer have to use points on same iso.

I tried winrar several times with no luck and then decided to get 7-zip to try. 7-zip extracted zip but then I get a folder that once opened it contains another zip folder to extract which then will get an error.

I hope I made sense of this and hope my points are not lost on these three.

This homebrew deal is brand new to me so I may be just doing everything the wrong way. I'm used to r4i files and treated these three wii iso's the same.

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Assuming that there's nothing wrong with the downloads themselves, it has to be something that's wrong with your computer.

It seems like the problem is with Winrar since that's the first mention of something going wrong.

I'm not about to go download one of those files and waste 1500 points, but if you just right click the .rar and Extract Files, it should go without a hitch.

The extension should be .iso. If your stupid Winrar settings show it as another archive (which is on by default, most noobs that have issues with Winrar have this option ticked), then you need to fix that. ISO is the extension that you end up with. Somehow I think you're double extracting.

If you're not getting a .ISO extension because it doesn't show anything, then you have noob Windows settings enabled (default), and you need to show extensions in the Folder Options.

3. Dannymizer

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked the wii files and compared them to the ds files and both are listed as type: WinRar Archive Can it be changed to the appropriate file or would I have to redownload?

I'll see what the file type comes up as when I use 7-Zip

4. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

you can, right click the file and seek open as... then select something like img burn

5. insanecrazy07

What the hell are you doing comparing NDS ROM files to Wii ISO files? They should look nothing alike.

Look man, all you have to do is extract the files starting with the WinRAR archive. Anything else past that or other than this step is wrong.

If you extract the ISO, the extension you get is .ISO. If you extract a NDS file, you get .nds.
    These are completely different formats...

If you're not getting these extensions to show up, you have noob settings on and I've already told you how to turn those off.

6. Dannymizer

Thanks, I used winrar to right click on file and selected OPEN instead of extract which then extracted the file as .iso

Selecting extract files did not work for me.

Once the extracted file folder is done I click on it to see what is in it and I get another WinRar zip folder, Is this normal?

thank you for your help

7. insanecrazy07

Whoever packaged that is pretty dumb. There's no reason it should be double packed, but extract it again. Not even reputable scene releases do this...Your end result should be a .ISO extension.