1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wii Emulator (Help Wanted)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by big_jake_420, Oct 4, 2007.

1. big_jake_420

big_jake_420 Well-Known Member

is anyone interested in helping me develop a wii emulator?

2. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd be able to help, but I was wondering what language you would be doing it in and if you've got any prior experience. I'd be very interested in how you play to do it if that's info you'd divulge :D

3. big_jake_420

i would be doing it in visual basic.........ive created games and tinkered around with other emulator source codes and i am taking a class in computer programming. i would play it by putting the Wiimote on the computer Via Bluetooth. ive just started to program the emulator two weeks ago. need help though.......be hard to do it by myself.......oh yea imma call it Project 128

4. big_jake_420

im going to start a host site on here for my emulator.....its going to have a nintendo wii interface (menu and all that good stuff) and its going to have Gamecube,N64, SNES, and NES emulators you can access from the Menu first. then i will work on Homebrew and commercial Wii games......i should beable to get the old system going pretty fast.....the only problems i have is the code for CPU and commercial games......

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

big_jake: sorry to burst your bubble. but VB is NOT a good language for writing an emulator in. It is too slow to execute and lacks the ability to directly call CPU/memory operations. For an emulator you really need C or even assembler.

6. big_jake_420

i havent gotten to far in the emulator so ill restart using a different Language

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

My advice is to use C, do not use any of the MFC (microsoft foundation class) libraries and avoid dynamically linking libraries as much as possible. Use as little code as possible to achieve each function, even if it takes you longer to write. Pass variables by reference as much as reasonably possible and don't be afraid to use embedded assembly language for CPU intensive functions.

You are embarking on a very big project, and while it could potentially be very rewarding, you will come up against a lot of pitfalls and frustration along the way.

8. big_jake_420

you got any advice on where to download it at?

9. big_jake_420

nevermind......i got it.......i was wondering if anyone would like to help me create this emulator?......or give me new suggestions..........

10. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a chance from what you've said, and I agree - I definitely wouldn't use visual basic to code anything that requires major CPU usage, that's not what it's designed for. Good luck, I'm too busy with xTrim at the moment to think about taking up another project but I'd love to see where this takes you. Good luck :)

11. big_jake_420

i have now officially started work on Project 128.........my Wii Emulator

12. big_jake_420

Ive Written some code for my emulator.......now it has a web browser,Wii Logo,and, Context Menus

13. big_jake_420

my emulator is going to be hosted on the site when i finish my web page :D

14. clugenheim

clugenheim Well-Known Member

This should be interesting. Sadly, I can't help. I have no programming knowledge. =( But good luck anyway.

15. big_jake_420

now i have the web page for it ;D the web page is http://project128.romulation.net i will soon be adding a beta version of the program. even though it will not offer emulation its a start

16. joe_yoshi

joe_yoshi Well-Known Member

you think i could maybe possibly help???