1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wi-Fi on the brick DS

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kaichi, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaichi

Kaichi Well-Known Member

Alright, this is something that's been boggling my mind for as long as my family got a wireless router setup in our home. I basically have control over the whole network, and if I really wanted to I could change our security to a WEP key for DS wi-fi access. However, I really find myself choosing security over online gaming, but I still loved when I would play on wi-fi before I learned about how broken WEP was. Getting to the point, my question is:

Is there any way I can bandwagon my Nintendo DS onto my wireless WPA2 secured network? I would really love to just get this out of my head once and for all.

PS: I am aware of the Nintendo DSi's WPA/2 connectivity, but I'm not willing to fork over the cash for it at the moment.

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

NO. It is only WEP....can't change it.

3. Kaichi

Kaichi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know that much. So you can't use one of those USB Wi-Fi adapters to bandwagon it onto the network?

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

the usb wifi adapter is for WEP wifi only. it is a wifi router in itself. i am unsure how you would connect it to a network.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well...let's me suggest this.

THose nintendo wifi adapters would by pass that as it's only for ds.

Connect that to your pc, and use your ds via that, sure it means you need your pc on, but no matter the security your ds would work without needed security.

That is the only way to overcome the wpa restriction safely.

6. Kaichi

Kaichi Well-Known Member

Thanks, I had actually considered that, but I wasn't sure if it would work or not. Kinda hard to find those though, seeing as they're a discontinued product.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I still see some on sale down under :)

But yes, it can be used, if the pc it's connected to has wireless protection, as long as it has access, it should let the wifi device thru, provided the fire walls are disabled for it and you have admin privilges of course.

8. gx280

gx280 Guest

Yer the USB's are good but i am pretty sure can only be used for WEP access to the system only.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Your point is invalid-I done this before, wep access is only for direct ds to router link.

But...it's been ages since I had done this, and my laptop's net would cut out because of all the wireless signals about (but it would work on some nights).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.