1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why rar instead of 7z

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 19blac74, Mar 18, 2010.

1. 19blac74

19blac74 Active Member

Why using rar files in the download section instead of 7z files

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

because people won't recognise the 7z extension and we'll get hundreds of posts along the lines of 'it doesnt work, it needs to be .nds what do I do?'. Rar is bad enough in that respect.

3. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

Rar is already uknown to countless people (newbies) on Romulation and explaining them again and again how to use winrar is annoying. And they should explain even 7zip now? lol no way...

Honestly I don't know why people post threads like this. The admins are not idiots, they know what they are doing. There must be a very good reason why they don't use 7zip. And even if there isn't why should we care? We are just the downloaders :p ...We download and that's it. Leave the uploading to them
    Post Merge: [time]1268940350[/time]
    damnit Loony you beat me to it XD

4. 19blac74

19blac74 Active Member

Ok good reason

5. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? I mean, even if .rar is barely known, and people don't know how to use them, it wouldn't make a difference. WinRar extracts them all the same, and it'd save the servers a crapload of bandwidth.

6. Loonylion

rar is much better known than 7zip.

7. matty999555

matty999555 Well-Known Member

I new about winRAR before this forum, I learned about 7-zip here!

8. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Scene uses rar, so it's rar.

9. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

also noticed that on no$Zoomer, it has decompression .dll's for .zip and .rar, further proving that people don't know how to use these archivers. @.@

10. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

And also reads the 7zip compressed format.

11. Loonylion

thats irrelevant, people see the extension and freak out. They rarely use common sense.