1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why does getting a gun license take 3 years?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by usernameladiesman217, Nov 3, 2011.

1. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

My uncle died and he had a crap load of guns, new and old from his army days. Kind of collected them, I never knew until he died and we opened his safe.

Now I have them, was thinking of getting a gun license, spoke to a guy at the gun store and he says that it takes 3 years for a gun license. I mean seriously? What could take 3 years about getting a license to own a gun legally?

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Why do you need it anyway?
    So you can kill your family while you're drunk?

3. usernameladiesman217

I don't live in the same country as my family anymore. You got the getting drunk part right though.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

You need training to handle them safely and they need to run all sorts of background checks to make sure you're not psychotic or a criminal who is likely to commit a crime with them.

5. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of the license? Can you kill a person if you have a gun license? Its not like " Dude, I'm gonna kill you, here's my gun and I have a license!". Like in driving, the only purpose of a driving license is when you get pull over by a traffic police for a violation. As long as you don't get pulled over, you can still drive.

The only place where I know that you are required to show your license, is in a business. So your customers will know your legit.

Also, even though you have a gun license, you still can't enter or use facilities like Mall, Public Transpo, etc... without being asked to deposit/surrender your gun.

6. Nitemare_ Plague

Nitemare_ Plague Well-Known Member

I guess it'd take 3 years so idiots dont just get lucky and have a good testing day, so they wind up legally being able to own a gun they may not know how to use.

7. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Obviously, because the only reason you would would be to rob the place

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

A license means you are less likely to accidentally kill/injure someone, because it shows that you have been trained to safely operate the weapon/vehicle.

9. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

The purpose of a gun license is to indicate that you have demonstrated enough responsibility and have had sufficient training (as Loonylion pointed out) to own/possess a gun. Of course you're not going to be allowed to carry your gun into public facilities. Why the hell would you want to do so in the first place?

A gun license simply allows you to legally possess a gun. Owning a gun without a license can get you arrested.

10. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

I kinda hate guns for citizens. They create something that you show to the people of your neighbourhood that you don't thrust them

11. someirishkid

I thrust my neighbors. I thrust the hell out of them.

12. usernameladiesman217

Chances are I won't go through with it, probably sell it to the gun store for cheap.

If history is anything to go by I won't be interested in guns long enough to keep up the motivation of a 3 year study, irregardless of how easy it may be.

13. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

How far are you into the 3-year waiting period? Why not take some training classes on gun safety and seek assistance from the National Rifle Association?

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It's fucking bullshit to be honest.

Now for army weapons, yes. For civilian guns, hell no. I don't even think you should need a permit to buy a handgun. I have had to wait almost 3 years till I turn 21 to take classes on how to carry a handgun, and then I have to wait to get a permit to carry it, and then I have to get a permit to buy it. Bullshit. I'm still not 21... :S But, when I do turn 21. It's on.

I know how to use a gun. In the state next to me, all you have to do is go into a store, buy a gun and nothing else. You can carry it wherever. That's pretty sweet.

You'd hate to be my neighbor.

Just go through with it. It'll be worth it in the end.

15. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

You may know how to take off a safety and pull a trigger, but if you have that kind of attitude then you really don't know how to use a gun.

Seriously. I've got my handgun license, which is harder to get here than it is to have one for a hunting rifle. I've been a nationally-ranked target shooter. I've had formal training. But to be honest, owning a gun wasn't a big deal. It can very easily kill someone if you do something wrong, and if you don't have the ability to respect that - and I don't mean "yeah, duh, of course guns are dangerous", but actually respecting that - you shouldn't have a gun in the first place.

I mean, if you want to carry it around everywhere and feel like a big man, maybe compensate for a lack of development in the gential area, that's your deal. It's still a fucking retarded (and dangerous) mindset to have, though. A gun is a dangerous tool, and the only practical place to have it is at a range.

16. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I don't want it for a "big man" mindset. I want one to just have fun with it basically. I really don't care what other people think or say about it. Where I come from, guns are the shit.

And besides that, it's my right to own one.
    If I have the chance to do something, I will. And since I live on a large plot of land, I don't need a range. When you live in the country there are wolves and coyotes around. You want something other than a stick to fend off something like that. Also, rabid animals as well. :S
    And also, when your little brother is molested by your "friend" and you feel responsible for that in a way, you want to protect them as best you can.

17. someirishkid

*sigh*

18. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

*sigh*

19. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

What do you mean molested by a "friend"????

20. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Someone who was once my friend. He was probably just using the friendship to his advantage that I had younger siblings.