1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why do you personally pirate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darkrequiem, Apr 18, 2011.

1. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

No moral or legal concerns compelled to ask this question. Just curiosity. Of course I might be lying.
    For what reasons do you personally pirate?

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

I do it accidentally on purpose

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Possible reasons include stupid DRM. It seems games never allow you to just play them off the box anymore, they always come with some patch or stupid security shit. Also,

IM POOR

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Where else would I get amstrad cpc roms? Its not like they are available to buy.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

[me=Natewlie]lazy.[/me]

And because I can't play Amnesia for longer than 5 seconds because I'm a huge pussy.

6. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Because I'm saving it to buy something better. And it's too tiring to go to a game store (very far from my house) and buy it.

7. Reider

Reider Modereider

Depends on what I'm pirating. It's either an issue of availability or an issue of me not being willing to spend the money.

8. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Because such programs such as photoshop for my use does not jutify the price.
    Also most games that I feel justify the price I will buy but £40.00 for a xbox game is redicious.

9. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Why should I pay for something when I'm smart enough to pirate?

That's like, stupid.

10. msg2009

Why should I pay for a new TV when I can steal one from a house?

That's like, stupid.

11. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

To Save money

12. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Chances are they have insurance anyways.

13. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

WOWZA

14. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

-_-

There's a difference between pirating a game and stealing a TV, you know.

It's a little like this:

[​IMG]

15. msg2009

Its still theft, you get something and the company that makes it doesn't. Just because you copy it doesn't make any difference to you or the company.

16. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

However, your example refers to taking an item from someone else that the company has already profited from.

So, if somehow you could pirate objects, the person you robbed would not be out of a TV, and possibly not know/care that his TV was "pirated".

I only pirate because my dad won't allow me to use my own money to buy gaming stuff/movies often (only about once a year) because he despises them and thinks they are "kiddy". Therefore, I have to make sure each purchase has plenty of options for free and/or pirated games, such as my DS, PS2, and (for this year) PSP.

17. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

No real excuse to be honest. If I really wanted, I could purchase the game if I wished. But not all games deserve to make money or be bought in my opinion. If the game's good, I'll highly consider purchasing it.

There's also the fact that not all games are released here in Australia. That's actually what got me involved in DS piracy. I needed a game that was only released in the US, and I wanted to play that game. Who knows, if Nintendo had cared more for others around the world, I may not have bought or even known of DS flashcarts.

Piracy isn't something I actually do that often by the way. When I mod a console I don't think of all the free games I can play, I'm more excited about what the console is capable of in terms of emulation and other homebrew.

18. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

I pirate because them games are a rip off-£40 odd for a DVD worth 20p.I dont give a fuck about some Harry Potter lookalike game programmer/developer-they could get a job on one of them crab-boats in Deadliest Catch.Movies are just as bad-had a nasty experience with the last film I bought-War of the Worlds for £15 at Asda.

Since an early age-Ive loved stealing LOL

19. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I like being able to get stuff before they're released.
    For me, it's a money issue or really a value (monetary value) issue.
    No game is worth $60. I don't care how great or epic of a game you have. Not worth $60.

Plus gamestop and any other place that buys used games rips you off. No point in buying a game and then turning it in later and getting a 95% loss in value. Even if you buy used and then turn in the game, you still get a huge decrease in value.

The last few games I've gotten are just okay, with the exception of Dynasty Warriors 7. Really, it's the only game I've clocked in at least 24 hours on in the last week. There's just something satisfying about obtaining Seals (much like FFIX), and swinging your big sword, axe, or spear and getting 20 kills at a time. The new Mortal Kombat just isn't my cup of tea, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was good, but didn't justify the price since there isn't much to the actual game. It's not even 4 GB. I still think MvC 2 had way more to offer as far as content goes.

Right now I have 37 games for the PS3. If I had bought every single one of them new, that would have averaged about $50 a game, which ends up being $1850. There are only a few that I actually play often. Games like Uncharted 2 and Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 that have a linear story type mode are only good the first time around. Second time seems more like a chore.

All of these reasons can be re-applied for movies. And yes, the average movie is only worth seeing once, if not at all.

Play some GTA or some Black Ops and see if he thinks they're "kiddy" now.

20. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

What fully "justifies" the price of a game? Opinions don't, for sure.