1. This forum is in read-only mode.

why do rom file sizes round up so much higher?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by toyeboy, May 10, 2010.

1. toyeboy

toyeboy Member

I only have a 2GB micro sd card for my R4sdhc card so space is severely limited...I've noticed the file sizes of games round waaay up. Example: a file will be like 80mb then I drag and drop it on the mirco sd card and it rounds up to 128mbram !? so why is there a nearly 45mb addition...that could give me room for like two smaller games :/ thanks. sorry i am newbie if this is a known issue..

2. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

It's normal, the files that you downloaded are compressed using winrar and make it size smaller.

When you extract it, it will go back to it's original size, which is bigger than the compressed one.

3. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Trim them if you're so concerned about space. The quality games though will only trim off maybe 2-3 MBs (meaning that they use most of the allotted space that they're given) and might not function right, so use some judgment.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its because the sizes of the chips used in the carts must be one of a fixed set of sizes: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc. Obviously you can't put 80MB worth of data onto a 64MB chip, so you have to use a 128MB chip and fill the empty space with useless data. roms are an exact byte for byte copy of whats in the chip, so they also contain all the useless data; which can be removed by trimming.

5. toyeboy

toyeboy Member

ok Loonylion, that really helps clear it up for me thanks. I figured it was something along those lines.

I will experiment with trimming to see if i can save some data...going to invest in a 8 gig card soon though so this isn't a problem :) thanks

6. kyle82309

kyle82309 Member

you could get about 13 roms on a 2gb if you use your space careful most game are 64 -128 mb

7. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I have a 2GB MicroSD and I have had over 40 games on there at the same time.