1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why do people study in foreign countries?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnieBob, Mar 1, 2010.

1. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

I've meet several Chinese/Polish people going to Uni in Coleraine who speak very little English; My question is, Why go to schools in places that speak a different language? Do you learn the language better? I don't see the point....
    If there's a logic behind it, I would like to know before I go to uni!
    Please explain :D

2. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Visit somewhere else, experience a new culture. What more do you need?

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

To learn a new language if they are becoming a linguist as well.

4. JohnnieBob

But a lot of the foreigners I've met are studying to be a doctor and stuff. The words are completely different (Like words for diseases).

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Well, that's what happens when you go to another country.

The language is different...and the words are different too... :p

6. JohnnieBob

Has anyone here studied abroad (Like China/Spain/etc)?

7. ultra

ultra Guest

if you're polish and go to america, you'll learn the language more fluently as you're exposed to the environment constantly. it also goes the other way around, that if you're american and want to learn a new language, you live in that country and you'll learn to use the language.

in the situation of a foreigner going to school from their country to america is for the purpose of opportunity, to obtain a position here in america after graduation. i know students in class who say that they come to america for the purpose of having a job opportunity after graduation as their country has a low opportunity after graduation.

it's also a different environment. learning in america will greatly differ if you went to an italian university and if an italian went to an american university. from the professors to the administration of the school to the structure of the society to the etc.... will all be different as opposed to the region you're from. you'll not only learn about what you're studying but also the people and everything in that country. if you don't reside in that country, you're never going to ever concern yourself with it because you don't live there. but living there will make you care because you become effected by the end result of the action.

in the end, it's a very wonderful proposition. but it's also an expensive proposition.

8. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Some countries have more esteemed universities for some professions, so they come to that country. So what if a word is different. That is what LANGUAGE is.

9. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

I had a Japanese transfer student who came to my school in Belgium. He had a weird name for a Japanese: 'Shaun'. Lol

10. Buppazugan

Buppazugan Well-Known Member

You think that's weird? I know a chinese guy called Robert...

11. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

I used to go to an international school, i had guys from Zimbabwe and Nigeria called, Beauty, Gift , Purity, Gracious

12. Buppazugan

Buppazugan Well-Known Member

You win :p

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

This actually sums things up, but...

In another situation, people from a country whose Education program is better than another "sometimes" goes the other way around.

They go to other countries whose education is below standard to get a degree,just because another country offers degrees at a cheaper price, or, getting a degree from that country would be easier/faster because the education program in another country takes fewer years than what their country can offer them.

Both of those cases are the reasons why foreigners go to my country's Universities knowing my country's educational program can earn them a degree faster even though the knowledge they'll be getting is either obsolete, lacking or absolutely worthless so long as they can get a title like an M.B.A or Ph.D :(

14. luvelias

luvelias Well-Known Member

I had a lot of foreign students at my college here in cali. I asked one of the japanese students why she chose to go here and she said she had already graduated from the university in japan and wanted to major in something they didn't really offer in japan. (I was majoring in hospitality she wanted to be a flight attendant but for american planes). If you don't know, to be a flight attendant of a certain company you have to be certified in the origin of where that company is. Like to work for american airlines you have to be certified in the USA and for Air korea or w/e you have to be certified in Korea. She said they were more strict in Japan which is why she decided to come to school here and work here eventually instead.

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

@shypanda: If it's certification she's after, she's actually taking special courses at your Uni, not getting a degree per se. Or, she is getting/adding better credentials to her name so she can work at the specific airline she's aiming to work for.

16. luvelias

luvelias Well-Known Member

Yeah thats what I said. I think...lol.

Anyway, we have loads of foreign students from everywhere at my school. Chile, Russia, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Spain to name a few. Our school is very overpacked as well -_- and its hard to get classes cause we have 25k students and not enough classes/teachers. Its only a community college too.

17. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

-cough- There are certain idiosyncrasies about a language that you can't learn from text books. -cough-

Mango... Heheh.