1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Who seriously pays for service?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by highpitchsolo, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highpitchsolo

highpitchsolo Active Member

This website used to be the best place to get DS roms. Good site layout, user-friendly, frequently updated, and fast download speeds. But ever since they started charging for good service, this website has really gone downhill. Seriously, 150kb/s cap? That's ridiculous, and on top of that they charge $15 for only 2 months of service? That's horrible. I will just go elsewhere from now on.

Do any of you actually pay for this?

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It's not really necessary, if you need a speed more than 150 kb/s to download ROMS/Isos, which aren't that big to begin with then you're kind of impatient. Especially DS roms which would only take about a minute or so.

If you're complaining about points then just register and wait about a month or so. You get so many points a day, and it's not like you'd download 15 DS roms in a day and play them all.

Enjoy the forum, it's a way to distract from the Rom download business and once you want a ROM, you'll have the points.

3. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

I just Love RomU and Never leave this site .
    I'm not paying but I use point.hehe.I don't know how to make my money to become dollars

4. highpitchsolo

I have over 28,000 points that I've racked up over the years. I'm not complaining about those. I'm talking about the 150kb/s cap and ridiculous overcharging for full use of the site.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Oh okay.

Well again, if 150 kb/s isn't fast enough for you what is? To download a DS rom it'd take just a couple of minutes, whoa, in a hurry?

I'm guessing they charge that much because of the cost of bandwidth and hosting. Imagine how much it costs to put up all the ROM and ISOs, get them downloaded, along with the traffic. Why should you really complain, I mean, it's not mandatory by any means, and 150 kb/s isn't horrible.

6. koyuchan

Better 150kb/s than mine here : about 15-17 kb/s
    But Hey, I still Love Romu

7. highpitchsolo

I don't know what you are talking about, 150kb/s a second is horrible. That's almost 15 minutes to download a 128MB rom, and over 7 to download a 64MB rom. The cap isn't as bad as the service charge, though. Who would actually pay $15 for 2 months? It should cost no more than $20 a year, and even then I still wouldn't pay because there are dozens of other websites that offer free downloads. Why doesn't Romulation just resort to advertising like everyone else does?

I suppose I should just stop complaining and go to one of those dozens of other websites, but I go pretty far back with Romulation. Too bad I guess.

8. sylky0604

sylky0604 Well-Known Member

go to the other sites then...

9. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

i'm been using free account all this time and i dont see any differ between now and then.....

10. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

So why exactly are you in such a hurry to download any ROM? As for ISOs, why not hit a torrent site or check somewhere that uploads to Rapidshare if you're that concerned about the speeds? I'd tell you a great place to go, but apparently calling an admin a fascist isn't good for my warning level.

To be honest, I think you're either exceptionally picky or a troll, and to answer your original question I think only a handful of people actually pay. The staff get free access to the FTP as well as premium memberships.

11. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We do, but it simply doesn't cover the bills. Let me show you a few images.

https://www.romulation.org/images/misc/euserver.png
    https://www.romulation.org/images/misc/usserver.png

These images are recent, from the past 24 hours in which barely any new releases were out, so they're a low peak, yet we still use just shy of 500 megabits of bandwidth. Try asking around at a few hosting places and see what that costs. here's a hint: it's not just 3 digits.

Now granted, we have a lot of visitors so we do send across a fair bit of ad impressions. But due to the nature of the site (this is not exactly legal in case you hadn't noticed) it's hard to get the good campaigns and as such we're stuck with network defaults which doesn't pay very well.

It's easy enough to point fingers and call us greedy fascists (thanks Suiseiseki) but the facts are that running a site like RomUlation is expensive and requires a lot of work, and sometime we have to set limits that people aren't going to be happy with.

You're welcome to leave, of course, I'm afraid that, in this case; there's nothing we can really do to make you stay.

12. koyuchan

Nice one Seph, I don't like a kind of that person. :(

13. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

This is still the best place to download Roms/Isos and related items...

14. forte_amirul

forte_amirul Well-Known Member

I found a site that is really terrible.If you're not a premium member at that site,you can only download 5 ROMs a week,unless you become a Premium member.RomUlation is one of the fastest Roms site that I download about 150 kb/s better than 100 kb/s that I found.If you don't like RomUlation,then as Seph suggest,you're welcome to leave.

15. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one here that doesn't really download much here? I spend way more time on the forums than anything else, and thanks to the users here at romulation, I've hacked both my PSP and Wii with easy to follow guides.

I've learned more useful things here than at school. I've made about $80 hacking people's stuff so far (I didn't actually charge them). Downloading roms is just the tip of the iceberg.

16. highpitchsolo

from the past 24 hours in which barely any new releases were out, so they're a low peak, yet we still use just shy of 500 megabits of bandwidth. Try asking around at a few hosting places and see what that costs. here's a hint: it's not just 3 digits.

Wait, so you're saying in the last 24 hours, it has cost in the thousands of dollars to run the website? or by three digits did you mean cents also >_>

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

No, sorry that was confusing, if it cost several thousand dollars per day then the site wouldn't run at all. The several thousand dollars are a monthly cost. Usually the cost of bandwidth for hosting is measured on a monthly 95th percentile scale. Meaning that every month the bandwidth usage of the previous month is tallied up, the top 5% of the time is discarded and then whatever is left is paid for.

so if after the 5% has been discarded the maximum speed used was 500 megabit then we pay for 500 megabits. Usually we end up paying around 3 to 4 thousand dollars a month to keep the site running, so we need a healthy flow of money to stay online.

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

You also need to consider that we have no less than 6 servers to run this site, all of which have to be rented, power costs paid for, maintenance etc. the thousands of dollars aren't just bandwidth. Bandwidth is about $7 a megabit with I think a 200mbit minimum commit, which means $1400 before you've even started.

19. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Like someone else said, how impatient are you to wait 15 minutes to download a ROM?

First, it's FREE; with the exception of the point barrier, which isn't really a barrier if you've been a member for a long time or you download the smaller roms.

Second, RomUlation is probably the FASTEST no-bullshit ROM site I've ever visited. 150 kb/s , a vast collection, almost unlimited ROMs for free? That's a fucking steal.

Third, I think the costs of membership / premiums as a way to show that you like the site, in addition to the service you get. Fifteen bucks to pitch in and keep a site going is well worth it for me, in comparison with how much money spent on BUYING everything I downloaded. (like that'll ever happen anyway :p ).
    As Seph previously stated, the costs of running this kind of site would range in the thousands of dollars per month: not a small amount by any means. Advertisements are already in place, but considering this is an "illegal" venture, it would be difficult to get better ad campaigns.

Anyways, you can leave or stay and do what you want. Find a better site for you if you can :)

20. highpitchsolo

Who pays these thousands of dollars a month to keep this site up? The admins? Out of their own pockets? Why would you do that? I mean damn, I'm a lot more appreciative now, but that's a freakin lot of money, and I know that premium memberships alone do not cover all of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.