1. This forum is in read-only mode.

who knows japanese

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by k9tozex, Feb 23, 2009.

1. k9tozex

k9tozex Member

see the thing is, most totally pwnage games nowadays are all in Japanese and we have to wait like a couple months to a year before the english one comes out (unless some totally awesome dude patches it). I see most people waiting for KH 358/2 days (i am too) but it will most probably be in Japanese when it comes out and i definitely do not want to play that awesome game without understanding the story...

so... back on topic, who knows Japanese?

2. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Actually Japan isn't producing that many good games anymore...
    Unless endless revisions of the same JRPG formula is your thing (Which I suspect it is....)
    And those they are are just as much aimed at the Western market as their home market (take Capcom for example)

Anyway...I know enough to get by should I ever feel the need to import a game...

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I do. Yay for me.

4. marcy

marcy Guest

I can only read some Katakana.
    That's enough to understand the most games.

5. yamiyashi

yamiyashi New Member

Currently learning kanji symbols....

6. k9tozex

k9tozex Member

aw i wanted to learn japanese but my parents forced me to go through with french, it definitely didn't go quite well (not to mention my teacher was a total perv on girls). I could understand a bit of japanese but it would be through anime and games :p

7. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

I know a little bit of the words from watching a lot of anime. I also look on the internet for websites that give you some commonly used English words in Japanese.

8. head635

head635 Well-Known Member

I only know how save, load, yes and no looks like

and i know how ン is pronounced :D

9. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I wish I knew japanese, so i could play almost any DS game :p

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I have some Japanese in my blood. I used to know all Hiragana characters, but then I forgot after months of not studying.

P.S. Learning Japanese through anime is inaccurate and stupid.

11. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

@Born2killx: When I think about it you've got a point there about learning Japanese through anime. It's best to learn it the hard way by actually studying the language. But then again, everyone has their own opinion on that.

12. tenchan4

tenchan4 Well-Known Member

I speak a little, but can read none. Only because my wife and kids are fluent native speakers.

13. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

True, but regular Japanese TV/Dramas can be helpful...

14. anandjones

Why I hate the computer font versions, they look completely different from what they should look like (sa for example).

15. meminpanda

meminpanda Well-Known Member

i wish i coul learn japanese i only know some hiragana and some katakana >3<

16. k9tozex

k9tozex Member

man... it seems most of you guys here are more experienced. btw what is the difference between hiragana and katakana?

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

one is more formal than the other.

18. anandjones

In example would be is that Katakana is used for foreign words which are used, such as Retasu is written in Katakana, which is lettuce (they are very similar to each other). Others that are direct would be tomato (which can be written properly in Japanese without letter changes/variations). Also, Katakana appeals much better to people for advertisements or manga etc. since the characters are more bold.

19. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

inaccurate yes, stupid no...... the japanese used in the anime is pretty standard, although you may not learn complex word building, but you can learn some simple very one.

i'm not very good in japanese (not good to be used in conversation, but i can point and tell some object, watashi wa otoko desu, ka-san wa ona desu, kore wa pasocon desu, kanojo wa tomotachi desu, neko chan wa kawaii desu XD), but i can sometimes spot the wrong sub in the anime.

20. k9tozex

k9tozex Member

ah... so des na ^^