1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which Starter Should I choose? HeartGold/SoulSilver

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by tarotmaniac, Mar 12, 2010.

1. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

Among Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile Who should i pick?

I always have the same prob. I know there are a lot of grass in the beginning so Chikorita is sorta out. Are there strong fire pokemon in the game that i can get early or they come in late so i need Cyndaquil. I always end up picking the water type hence Totodile, but maybe i want something different.

You comments and suggestions are well appriciated thanks:D

2. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

I prefer Water and Cynda ~
    trust me Chiko is weak during 3rd gym, or 2nd gym, I forgot.
    it also weak with birds,ground,fire, and many more.. ahh
    I love Cyndaquil~

3. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

The first gym is a bird one, so you'll struggle if you pick grass unless you raise a geodude. As for the other two... It's just personal taste really, although Cyndiquil does have a type advantage over the second gym.

4. YungPhil

YungPhil Active Member

Cyndaquil remember using him when i was lyk 5
    Got me really far and you wont have alot of problems

5. soulshine

soulshine Member

I always choose the water-type Pkm; My favorite Pkm type is water. Go for Cyndaquil, then. Grass are useless to me.
    Are we allowed to talk about trading here? I really want a Cyndaquil. I know there's a Pokesav, but I don't want to use that.

6. dblood

dblood Well-Known Member

Cyndaquil cuz when he learns ember he can mop the floor with the first and second gym

7. paulthegreen

paulthegreen Well-Known Member

cyndaquil owns!!!

8. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

I'm going to choose Totodile.

9. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

I've Deiceded To get Totodile for SoulSilver and Cyndaquil for HeartGold:D

10. Pinkie

Pinkie Member

Cyndaquil is the easiest, then Totodile, then Chikorita.

11. _luigi_

_luigi_ Well-Known Member

totodile deffinetly then cyndaquil, then chikorita

12. ChangeJD

ChangeJD Well-Known Member

I beat the original Silver and Gold with both Totodile (because I always pick the water starter) and Cyndaquil, and I think that what you are doing is the best way. Beat it with both of them!

13. melfice666

melfice666 Well-Known Member

I go for chikorita
    it CAN win quite easily the 2 first gyms using poison powder
    and it also is better to the mid/late game

14. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I love Fire Pokemon so I'd go with Cyndaquil... But I choose Totodile this time for something different... Totodile seems really strong, and I caught a Bellsprout to replace Chikorita's duties... LOL

15. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I chose Totodile because of his competitive setup. I chose the SD physical sweeper set on smogon and luckily, every move, he learns via TM/HM or learns it through level up.

It is probably the best setup you can get out of the three starters, Typhlosion basically having a similar setup as Arcanine or Ninetales, except Arcanine can get Morning Sun, which makes it's Flare Blitz not as much of a hindrance.

If you're not going to trade at all, then I'd go with Typhlosion because he's the only decent Fire pokemon you can get all game, seeing as how Feraligatr is going to need TMs from Platinum to be of any real use, and Arcanine is going to need a Fire Stone and an Espeon that knows Morning Sun to breed with.

Grass is rather easy to come by. You can get a Bellsprout in the first gym area.
    Water is pretty easy too. You can either get a Magikarp and raise it to a Gyarados, or just catch the Red Gyarados. If you choose the latter, a Wooper will do, but make sure it has Water Absorb.

Fire is always the hardest to substitute.

16. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I always did good with Cyndaquil... the only 2 gyms I had trouble was the gym in cianwood city because of the leaders Poliwrath, and then the dragon gym in blackthorn city with claire's kingdra

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Cyndaquil.

Or whatever you want.