1. This forum is in read-only mode.

which pokemon game to start with

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by tantimongoose, Mar 23, 2010.

1. tantimongoose

tantimongoose Well-Known Member

I've never played any pokemon game and am looking to get into the series. Like with the final fantasy series i have always been put off by the idea of turn based battles but i'm trying to move past that.
    There are soooo many versions of pokemon on ds. What are the differences say between pokemon diamond/pearl and pokemon dungeon explorers of skye etc and then how do pokemon ranger and pokemon dash fit in . I'm really confused - where should i start?

2. saddamsdevil

saddamsdevil Well-Known Member

Pokemon red, download it and emulate it.

Then start playing soulsilver or heartgold because the non-team rocket games suck imo.

3. wafflox

wafflox Member

There's so many Pokemon games it's not even funny.

In the normal Pokemon series (those called diamond / pearl / platinum / heart gold / crystal / etc ), those are where you probably want to start. They're the main Pokemon games where you actually catch and raise them.

Mystery Dungeon is more of a Pokemon adventure series where you actually ARE a Pokemon and recruit other of your kind to... do whatever. I don't know / remember the storyline. It's dungeon crawling as well and can be difficult.

Ranger is... another adventure game. This time you play as a ranger who doesn't actually catch Pokemon but requests and uses their help. For example, a Bidoof might be able to tackle through a barrel to get into another area.

The Pokemon Stadium series are basically just 3d pokemon games with no story. You battle through a series of trainers and it's possible to import your actual pokemon into the game. You probably don't want to start with this.

As for the rest: pinball / dash / etc, I see them more as minigames. I've never played them so I can't say much about 'em. I suggest starting with LeafGreen / FireRed. You could start all the way back in Red / Blue, but those are pretty old. FireRed is where the remakes start I believe or Sapphire / Ruby if that was before those.

And now I feel like a nerd. Haha. Well, good luck.

4. Karyuu

Karyuu Well-Known Member

Yeah..maybe you should start from the basic in GBA like Pokemon FireRed or LeafGreen....

5. jabstor

jabstor New Member

Start with fire red or leaf green (GBA) then go for heart gold or soul silver as they are direct sequels from red and green

6. tantimongoose

tantimongoose Well-Known Member

thanks everyone - i think i'll give a gba version a go then.

7. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

@Jabstor, I wouldn't call them sequels even if they the games came out after red.

I'd first start out with the classics and move on up to the top. Red/blue came out on the classic gameboy. You can get an emulator for it. Move on up to Silver/Gold, then Ruby/Sapphire, followed by Diamond and Pearl. The stories are mostly the same. Catch pokemon, train them, get badges and ultimately beat the elite four and champion.

Or you could try the other games like the mystery dungeon series. The first two games, Mystery Dungeon Red rescue team and blue rescue team for the gameboy. And the next three games, Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. And theres two for the wii as well which you can purchase via the wiistore or whatever you call it.

The pokemon ranger games are fun as well. all three on the DS, Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Ranger Bottanage/Shadows of Almia and Pokemon ranger tracks of light.

8. joelogs

joelogs Well-Known Member

well i would suggest going to main series first:
    1. red/blue - pokemon exclusives are only the main difference
    2. gold/silver - gold is for ho-oh and silver is for lugia
    3. yellow - same as red/blue but has you started with a pikachu
    4. crystal - same as gold/silver but has the pokemon locations change, some gold/silver pokemon are no longer there and mainly focus on suicune.
    5. ruby/sapphire - pokemon exclusives and ruby has groudon as main legendary and sapphire has kyogre as the main legendary
    6. fire red/leaf green - (if your interested) remake of red/blue, has the sevii island quest addition
    7. emerald - improved ruby/sapphire. has rayquaza as the main legendary and both groudon and kyogre as catchable.
    8. diamond/pearl - difference is on exclusives and main legendary.
    9. platinum - improved diamond/pearl and has giratina the main legendary. (much more interesting the diamond/pearl for me)
    10. heart gold/soul silver - the latest one and remake of gold/silver. in this game the crystal version of the old game seemed to have been integrated.

9. Stanley Richards

He might as well play it like this

FireRed/LeafGreen
    HeartGold/SoulSilver
    Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Because playing Red then playing FireRed is almost the same...

But once you're done with the main series i suggest moving on to mystery dungeon, ranger then the minigames like Pokemon Pinball for the GBA. But its optional.

10. joelogs

joelogs Well-Known Member

playing a remake i think would become more enjoyable if you have played the original first. you should make note of pokemon yellow too cause it's the only main pokemon game in the series that has you play not the main starters for obvious reason that you start with a pikachu.

11. Stanley Richards

12. Trust me on this. DO NOT START WITH FIRE RED OR LEAF GREEN. Start with Blue or Red version, after that go to Crystal, then Ruby or Sapphire, then Diamond or Pearl (though I do not recommend playing either of these, as they are pretty bland and uninspired) and finally Heart Gold or Soul Silver.

My reason for saying not to play Fire Red and Leaf Green is that they're pretty bad remakes. I guess that's more of an opinion, but I highly recommend playing the original version instead of the remake.

13. gamblore101

gamblore101 Well-Known Member

well my opinion is that if your going for a season look id start from red and go up, although if your just in for fun id recomend any of the ds games. But this is just my opinion... Good luck