1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which n64 file to extract and use from .rar archive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marcodt, Aug 6, 2015.

1. marcodt

marcodt New Member

When I download an N64 rom and open the .rar file with winrar, I notice that there's about 10-20 files in there all with similar names. Which one should I be using? I tried the first ones for both ocarina of time and majora's mask but they seemed choppy and the colors were distorted.
    Thanks.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Usually it's the one with the 'type' labelled as .rar. It'll self-compile for you.

Edit;

You could always click on any of it (preferably the one ending with .00 or .01, or part1), and it'll also self-compile by itself.

But if those multiple files are isos/rom, then usually for old system that are labelled [!].

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Always select the ones with an exclamation mark (!) as those would be certified working files. Avoid files with far more tags as most of them might be bad dumps, over dumps and hacked alternate dumps.

4. marcodt

marcodt New Member

Thank you Cahos! This is exactly the response I was looking for.
    Post Merge: [time]1438886878[/time]
    I have one more question.
    On one of the n64 roms (let's use banjo kazooie for example) I have a two 'Banjo-Kazooie (U) [!].z64 that are both the same size but one says that it has a large number (28,710,061) packed and the other one has 0 packed. Which should I use?

Also, what is the difference between (E) (M3) [!] and (U) [!]

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

(E) is europe, (M3) is multi-3, meaning 3 different languages, (U) is north america.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

In these cases, you probably need to consult with a program that reads internal ROM information to determine which file to choose.

One such program is uCon64:

http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/

This program is a bit old skewl though as it is mostly a command prompt based application. But do not fret, if you're on Windows, there is a "Front-end" (GUI based) addon for it on the same page, just scroll down a bit until you see the "uf-Fox-1.1 Win32 zip" link and download that along with the uCon64 executable.

You should also grab the .dat files for the application (also on the same page) as that is what the application uses to cross reference your downloaded ROMs to find out what quality your downloaded file is at.

This tool is a very useful tool especially when you are into applying Fan Translation patches onto ROMs for retro systems. Check out my mini tutorial for its basic uses here:

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=22223.msg326713#msg326713

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We have an explanation of file name tags here: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=1359.0