1. This forum is in read-only mode.

which is better NDS lite or NDSi

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by zinectics, Jun 4, 2010.

1. zinectics

zinectics Well-Known Member

i know i sound so ridiculous in my question..

but can some one give me a summary of the two nintendos thanks

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

NDSi:

- Built in Web Browser (on par with the PSP web browser, so basically, it kind of blows)
    - Memory Card for Downloads
    - Nintendo Store access for Downloads (games mostly, and only DSiware is really available from what I've seen)
    - 2 Cameras (one on the inside, one on the outside, not wonderful, but they work for things that use them)
    - No GBA Slot (Slot 2)
    - Less flash cart compatibility
    - More Expensive

NDS Lite:

- No internet browser (unless you get the browser NDS cart), no cameras, no memory card, no Nintendo Store
    - Light, durable design
    - Cases are easy to customize (the actual casing of the system, not what might go over it)
    - Has a GBA slot
    - Far more flash cart compatibility
    - Less Expensive

For the flash cart compatibility, it is really a double-edged sword. Although there are more available for the Lite, most of the carts are complete and utter garbage. The only good ones are an original R4 if you can't afford either an Acekard2i, a CycloDS, or a Supercard DSTwo. Other then that, it is a system that comes with a wonderful Slot 2 that allows for the EZ Flash 3in1 ram extension, and overall it very durable. If you drop it, you won't risk breaking one of forty extra pieces.

DSi: If you don't already have a DSlite, have the extra cash, and don't really care about Slot 2, you might as well go with this. You're limited to the Supercard DSTwo or the Acekard2i for good flash carts at that point, but they are very good flash carts. The Supercard DSTwo does come with GBA emulation, but it is still pretty bad when you look at how well games play with the simple addition of the EZ Flash 3in1. As a system though, it does have more to offer, and I have yet to hear somebody say "Why did I buy this, it sucks!".

There ya go.

3. XeNo - A.K.A Steelez

XeNo - A.K.A Steelez Well-Known Member

and to add on to luckytrouble info the DSi has a faster processor and x4 RAM compared to DS lite

4. LuckyTrouble77

None of that is really taken advantage of though, so it doesn't matter. Every DS game made outside of DSiware has to be made to work on all DS models.

5. zinectics

zinectics Well-Known Member

guys thank you very much for the replies

and by the way i had already bought a 2nd hand nintendo ds lite with a r4i and a 1gb micro sd

for 4200php [php = philippine peso]

so it's like 80 to 90 dollars depending on the dollar to peso exchange rate

6. Are you serious?
    DSI FTW!

7. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

DSi is a lot better when it comes to durability. My ds lite's hinge broke off so I had to sell it, and i know that every ds lite will come to this point so i would have suggested that you should have bought a dsi instead of a ds lite.

8. LuckyTrouble77

A DS lite case replacement is dirt cheap. You can even get a DS where the screens are cracked beyond repair and just take the casing for yourself. There are plenty of case replacement guides on the internet. The broken hinge is common and just has to be dealt with when it eventually happens. The DSlite may be somewhat cheaply made in the end, but I can guarantee that it is able to take far more punishment then my Phat can.

Really though, we are looking at the more logical purchase. Considering the price of the DSi and what it can do, I would much rather spend that money on a used 1000 series PSP or a 2000 series PSP. The DSi just attempts to do everything the PSP can and does a pretty terrible job at it. There is no reason to buy a DSi when the Lite is already so available. Most of the people here who have a DSi just get a DSi based flash cart and use that all the time. It is cheaper to go with the Lite, plus you get a slot 2. That slot 2 is the main reason I want nothing to do with a DSi.

9. Mithrandir9

Mithrandir9 Guest

(Deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  10. crimson089

The DS Lite would have been the best, if not for the hinge that causes the whole unit to fail if not repaired as soon as possible. besides, even if you take it for repair, the ds lite will more likely to suffer from another crack hinge again so the costs will be much higher. i also have a ds phat and i can say it has the best durability since i dropped it several times and it's still working perfectly. well for the price, i got my dsi for only 89 USD lol

11. LuckyTrouble77

I got my Phat back in '06 (yay for getting it at launch!). I've been very careful not to drop it, though the inevitable touch screen death has happened to me. Many parts of my touch screen just no longer work for actually touching, and parts that do work are severely off. Calibration also no longer works. I would replace the touch screen, but fixing the touch screen on a Phat is tons of work since you have to remove the circuitry to get to the actual screen.

Also:
    Used DSlite - $60 or so
    New Casing - About $15
    Total = $75 give or take $10

DSi - $150
    XL - Even more

No matter how you look at it, a lite is better deal price wise. I wouldn't own a DSi unless it was given to me personally.

12. crimson089

oh, that's kinda' sad for your ds phat =( i guess i'm just lucky with my phat, mine was from u.k. so i'm not sure about its durability.

well... i can look at it this way:

Used DS Lite = $60
    New Casing = About $15
    Replacement Hinge = $3
    after a few months, the hinge broke off again so...
    Another casing and hinge = $18
    a total of = $96
    and if you're lucky enough, you'll also need to replace the top screen if it starts to flicker. that would cost an additional $20 maybe.
    Used DSi = $90
    XL = very expensive, not advisable for practical reasons lol

but i guess the cheapest will be a used ds phat. you can get it for only $45. btw luckytrouble, that's a very nice avatar. i used to pick it as my character in mario hoops ^-^

13. LuckyTrouble77

I've robbed lots of avatars from people from my time browsing the internet. I feel I have a good collection right now. :)

I still love my Phat, I just wish the touchscreen worked a little bit better. I mean, for $75, I can send it into Nintendo to get fixed, but I still don't want to spend that while I have a working DSlite (given to me).

If you get good casing with a good hinge, you shouldn't have to worry about it for at least another year or two really. If it breaks again that early, then you got some pretty poor products. My main gripe with the DSi though, no Slot-2. I don't mind everything else, and actually like a lot of the features. That missing slot-2 is a killer for me though, as I enjoy picking up my Golden Sun games every once in awhile for another play through.

Used DSi's where I'm at still go for over $100 per, so it is still cheaper for me to just repair the Phat or the lite rather then purchasing a new console.

14. Zero.EXE

Zero.EXE Well-Known Member

Amazingly I am still using my Sliver NDS it works like a charm but the buttons are starting to wear out on me I noticed compared to the NDSL the speakers are bettter. I never really caught on when it came to upgrading to a new system. I have a Acekard 2i and a PSP 6.20 I hacked with the patapon exploit to play my GBA roms. I am still not convinced the DSi is worth buying cause their's always going to be another one better. I guess I am really waiting for a the 3DS it's been 5 years since I had my NDS I just need to wait a little longer