1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which flashcart should I buy and where?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by filters, Aug 6, 2012.

1. filters

filters Member

Hiya!

I need to create a chip for my sons DS lite and I'm very confused! Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction?

I understand I need a R4 card and reader - havent a clue which one to buy (want cheapest and from UK).

Downloading roms and putting on card seems simple enough, think I've got that bit.

Thanks very much!

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Re: A total and utter newbie! Please help!

http://shoptemp.net/products/R4-DS-Revolution.html

Use it with wood and you'll be fine.

3. filters

filters Member

Thank you Athemoe. I'm looking to buy one from UK to arrive to me asap.

OK, having to delete my original reply as I can't post link of item I've found to ask if it's the right thing! So bear with me, I'll copy and paste the description of it!

Wood R4 DS Revolution for Nintendo DS / DSL
    Wood R4 / R4 Wood Cartridge is a kind of DS SLOT-1 flash cart. DS users call them Wood R4, R4 Wood, Wood R4 DS, R4 DS or R4. Known from Wood Kernel ever since Apr 2010.
    Wood R4 is built with original DS cart size, a complete solution with no need to purchase any additional components or deal with any messy software and truly the easiest media enhancer you have ever done.

Has sections on wood R4 revolution functions and skins, but not copying because I don't think that's important (?)

Wood R4 Package include
    1 * Wood R4 Revolution (Wood R4)
    1 * Micro SD Card Reader / Writer
    100% Test before Shipping out, 100% Work and 100% Quality Warranty for 6 Months

Sorry I couldn't post link, but I do need help! I already have a micro SD card.

Thanks very much

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

that sounds like another fake to me.

You want either a genuine, original R4, or an acekard 2i, or a supercard dstwo Avoid any other R4 cart because it's a fake and chances are wood will not work on it.

5. filters

filters Member

Thanks Loonylion. Is there anyway to identify what could be a fake or not? And also, would the one which Athemoe suggested be ok? It seemed to be the same as the one I found....but what do I know!?! :)
    Post Merge: [time]1344286220[/time]
    r4wood.com/products/Wood-R4-DS-Revolution-for-Nintendo-DS-%7B47%7D-DSL.html?

This was the link the item I found btw

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

As stated above, there are four good carts to choose from.

1. Acekard 2i
    2. Supercard DSTwo
    3. R4 Original
    4. R4i Gold 3DS (www.r4ids.cn)

Search on ShopTemp for one and go to one of the sellers listed.
    I, myself, recommend the Acekard 2i if you just want a card to play ROMs and know that it will work most of the time. Get a DSTwo if you want no problems with compatibility and would like some extra features.

Overall, it is your choice. We can suggest cards but it is up to you.

7. Loonylion

no the one you found is not the same as the one athemoe linked. 'wood' is a third party firmware for the original R4, what you found is a fake R4 that tries to mislead people into believing it is associated with the wood firmware.

8. filters

filters Member

Thanks so much for your help guys.

Like I said, I'm new to this and finding this all really confusing. With your help, I think I'm getting there though! I can now see how companies can completely mislead people like me with selling fake R4s...goodness knows what I would be buying without your advice, so thanks again!

....and thanks for having the patience to deal with such a newbie!

9. filters

filters Member

Thanks Ethan, and yes I'm sure I'll be back!

In fact, another quick question....I'm going to buy an Acekard. Is there a limit to the size of microSD card I can use? I remember reading that with some R4 cards it should be under 2GB, but can't remember if this is the same with Acekard. I've already got a 4GB microSD. Thanks :)

10. Loonylion

the original R4 could only use non-SDHC cards, which limited it to 2GB. The acekard 2i can use SDHC cards, so the limit is about 64GB. However I would not recommend going above 16 or 32GB because the really big ones tend to be slower.

11. filters

filters Member

Thanks Loonylion!