1. This forum is in read-only mode.

which DS system to get

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Devilkid32176, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Devilkid32176

Devilkid32176 Well-Known Member

ok, i have had a original DS system for the longest but now its finally about had its last run :(
    and i wanted to know for a decent price and everything would another DS Phat be worth it or would a DS lite or DSi worth the extra $10 ~$20 difference,
    i know the ones im getting aren't new because im getting them from a pawnshop

2. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

lets be honest dsi is a load of unnecessary sh.. you have to pay for and not all flashcards work on it if youre just gonna play games get phat or lite

3. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I would get a DS Lite since the camera isn't really worth the money to me.

4. Devilkid32176

hmm, i was considering it but a friend had an issue with their lite system with the a,b,x,y button pad getting messed up but from my experience they are just rough with their systems :p so the DS lite would be my best bet to get for the difference, since i cant seem to find an intact shell for my old phat system, if it wasn't for that it would still be working good >__>

5. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

It's not sh*t. At least when you have DSiWare and a decent flashcard.

If you have DSiWare the camera is a wonderful toy.

If you don't need the DSi shop, a build-in browser, a camera and sound recording then the DS lite would be your best bet, yes.

6. Devilkid32176

ok ^__^ well i will have to call them to hold because i've had the money for a couple of days now i just have been trying to hold off on it cause i was hoping to find a shell for my old phat system

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

There will actually be a price cut for the DSi/DSi XL soon.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/dsi-dsi-xl-getting-price-cut-next-month.html

8. yoshi2889

...only this year?

9. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

I saw a sainsbury advert and said that the dsi there is 80 pounds or was it 90 pounds.

10. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

My advice would be to wait for a 3DS. But if you're getting one now, then the DS Lite is definitely worth $10-20 more.

11. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

I've had my lite for over 4 years now, it's still perfect (even the hinge). Forget the dsi, as LaughingStock says - it's not worth the extra money.
    The lite is an obvious improvement over the phat.

12. yoshi2889

I don't see much improvement...
    It's tinier, and has a lighter screen........that's it.

13. miracle101

miracle101 Well-Known Member

honestly you should just save your money for when the 3DS comes out

14. awesomebros

The lighter screen actually does make a difference. So you can actually play in the sun. And there's better battery life.

15. yoshi2889

So has the DSi....

And it is a difference but it's not much.

The DSi HAS alot of improvement. Menu, pictochat, camera, sound recording, internal memory, DSi shop, internet, etc.

I suggest DSi but if you liked the way your phat was then DS lite.

16. awesomebros

Many of those features can be used if you have a flashcart.

17. yoshi2889

Not really.

The DSi menu, camera, pictochat, internal memory, shop, enhanced internet features* cannot be used with a flashcard.

(*support for more encryption types)

Moonshell 2.10 can do sound recording, but that's all that can be done which is the same as the DSi.

18. awesomebros

Can you explain why the camera would be useful on a gaming system?

19. yoshi2889

the system can recognize your body and then recognize movements so you can play games with your body (unlike the Wii, a camera needs no remote).

That's just a example.

20. awesomebros

Yes, but how far would you have to be to allow it to see your whole body? Are the games that utilize the camera just using it as a gimmick?