1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which 3DS and flashcart to buy?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by armless, Jan 12, 2014.

1. armless

armless Member

I'm looking to buy a 3ds. Which model do I buy with the correct firmware so that I could use a flashcart to play new 3ds games like zelda? Also, which flashcart would I need?

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Any 3DS model may be use to play 3DS rom AS LONG AS it's running firmware below v.4.5.0. And there are several 3DS rom player to choose from, but I'd suggest Gateway or R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe. There's also MT-Card, 3DS Linker, etc. but aside from those 2 earlier mentioned, I'm not sure how they'll fair in the long run. Do note that some rom may not work until newer firmware is released, such includes but not limited to Pokémon X and Y.

3. armless

armless Member

Is there any way to know the firmware before ppurchase?

4. Prectorian

There is, you ask them to let you switch it on, then you go to the start menu, and check what it says on screen in the options. As long as it shows a number below v.4.5.0, you're good. Make sure it doesn't start with v.5.xx or above. Ask them to show what the installed firmware is if you don't know how to locate it.

Also if you meant to play 3DS rom, never upgrade the console or register it online.

5. armless

armless Member

Just read that the super mario version of the 3ds is the ibcorrect firmware. Which ones would be the old firmware?

6. Prectorian

The old firmware for 3DS console would be any number between 4.1.x to 4.5.x. The current firmware as it stands at the moment is v.7.1.x.

7. armless

armless Member

Any way to tell without turning on the system? I don't think Toys R Us will be okay with me opening them and turning them on lol

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no, there isn't.

9. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Boxes that have "Copyright 2012" should be okay. Not guaranteed though.

10. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

If you are buying from a dealer/oulet, it's the luck of the draw really. I bought my two XL's just before Christmas and was incredibly fortunte to find they were running ver 4.2 and 4.4

11. deviousgsr

deviousgsr Member

for 3ds system version above 4.5 http://www.r4flashcart.com/8-wood-r4i-gold-3ds-flashcart-for-3ds-xl-3ds-dsi-and-ds-lite.html is your best bet

12. Prectorian

None.

13. leslielee

leslielee New Member

before you buy one 3ds, you should see whether its version is between 4.1 to 4.5.

14. luthorcorp92

luthorcorp92 Well-Known Member

What happens when you registered your 3ds. I already did because I wanted the star points.

15. Prectorian

If you did and upgraded the console, then of cause there's no 3DS rom flash cart player that will run on it. Simply cause any 3DS running firmware above v.4.5.0 at present can't be supported by any of the existing 3DS rom flash cart players.

16. luthorcorp92

luthorcorp92 Well-Known Member