1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by kickrz, Dec 19, 2010.

1. kickrz

kickrz Member

I am so out of my realm here but want to give it a try. I just bought my daughter a DSi xl for Christmas and would like to buy a card to put games on. I have done some reading but I am overwhelmed! Can anyone help a girl out?

I need to know what is the best card to buy and from where..I am in Canada but have no problems shopping online but would like a reliable place. I am confused by the different cards I have heard of R4i, DSTWO, Cyclo, Ackert2 ( i think most of those are right..lol) and I haven't even began to figure out what to do with the card once I even get it.

A couple of friends mentioned that for $50-$60 they know someone who will get me a card with 50-100 games on it but I don't get to pick my own games :( I would like to try and figure it out but I just need some guidance.

So if you can help please do :)
    TIA!

2. dedboy

dedboy Guest

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=50987.0

In short: They recommend the supercardstwo

I have used an Ackert2 back when, watch out for clone cards.

Hope you find what you need.
    best wishes, and happy holidays and all that hoopla.

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

The DSTWO and AceKard 2i are the latest cart for DSi, by far its the DSTWO that's better as it has backward compatibility to play GBA and SNES games. There are lots of sites to download the game roms so there's no need to buy games, all you need to do is google search the title. Of cause by using roms you will always need to come to this forum to look for the Anti-Piracy Patch, or you can always download a rom marked as "cracked" or "pre-patched". If you need help with DSTWO, there are lots of members here who already have it.

4. kickrz

kickrz Member

I have been browsing the forum and found a thread where they list the file then a place to download from there. I downloaded one just to see and it is a 7zp file. What exactly do I do with this file other then unzip it? I have done wii iso's before so have some knowledge but then again this might be a whole different process ;)

ETA: I found this site http://www.mygamingmart.com/supercard-dstwo-p-133.html but I am not sure how legit...anyone know a sure way to tell? How is the price?

5. Prectorian

Buy a WINRAR program or download a free 7zip from 7zip.com. Basically you download the file, and extract it using the program. Since your console is a DSi, you'll need to change the rom file name and ending with .dsi .

Then on the DSTWO you need to is figure out which internal configuration from inside the cart that will let you bypass the Anti Piracy protection if there is ever any. Cause DSTWO got at least 3 DMA options. Otherwise look around in the Technical Forum for someone who has a patch to overwrite the AP.

6. dedboy

dedboy Guest

One thing to add to prec's post. Make sure to keep your directories in check as well.
    Or maybe that's just the neat freak in me coming out.

Tip to check a site's credentials:

Google it.

no, jive. That is usally the best and fastest way to check on it.

7. kickrz

kickrz Member

I do have 7zip that I use for wii iso's so yay to that :) Now when I change the rom file to a .dsi can I just rename it or is there a program I need to run it through to convert?

8. dedboy

dedboy Guest

usually changing the files extention the .nds at the end, will do the trick.

Not trying to sound like a prick, but google really does do the trick here.

There are conversion tools for some instances, and there is a list on this site for such a thing, though I forget where it's at, at this moment. :-[

9. Prectorian

Just rename it will do. Some files are named in a combination of alpha numeric to avoid copyright infrilment.
    But yes, basically just rename it and end it with .dsi. like you normally would, there's no need to use other program to rename it.

For the part mention by dedboy, just make sure to always have your antivirus active all the time. Some sites have adwares. Other than that, not much to worry about.
    Post Merge: [time]1292733767[/time]
    Sorry, mind if I correct you, .nds apply for DS and DSL only. DSi and DSi XL uses .dsi as its extension. But the rom playable are the same.

10. dedboy

dedboy Guest

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/My_Gaming_Mart_1

http://www.answerdigger.com/41195/Is-mygamingmart-com-reliable-store-to-buy-Supercard-DS-Two

Both links say that the site is in order and safe.

Of course, nothing beats the consumers instinct. If it feels wrong, don't do it.
    I.E.- do your homework before you commit, or give sensitive information(Credit card numbers, checks, ect.)

11. kickrz

kickrz Member

Thanks :) Just shopping for cards now...some are just the SuperCard DS Two and some are the combo. The only thing I worry about just googling is things change so fast with cards to begin with and when it comes to reviewing a store they might have helped their rating along. I appreciate any and all advice. I like the one on one help though :)

12. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Like I said, even when you Google, you Google safe.

Don't base your decisions on one report, see if the site is used by more than one person.
    take in all the testimonials you can before you make an informed and researched decision.
    In the end if they aren't spoken of by a few people, are they worth your hard earned money?
    I think not.

13. kickrz

kickrz Member

Thanks. I don't see the combo cards on that site though so I am still shopping. Would you happen to know how many games (roughly) would fit on a 2GB card?

14. dedboy

dedboy Guest

25 to 30 at max.

*Edit*- I've heard of people saying they've gotten 40 games to fit.

DS games are usually 60 to 80 Mb's

one thousand MB's = one GB(Gigabite)

there is your formula, you do the math. My head hurts :p

15. kickrz

kickrz Member

lol..ok thanks :)

Go rest your head..I will shop!

16. dedboy

dedboy Guest

As always, best wishes, and seasons finest to you.

17. Prectorian

A last parting tips :
    buy the SANDISK micro card. Its the best for flash cartridges, and DSTWO can use up to 8Gb or maybe more. But there's no need to have that large card as you can always keep the roms in the computer hard drive. Furthermore its unlikely she'll be playing more than a couple of games at a time.

Game suggestion for girls :
    -Pokemon series
    -Harvest Moon series
    -The Sims series
    -Nintendog series
    -Cooking Mama series

Bye.

18. Joseg1320

Joseg1320 Well-Known Member

I suggest you use this website if you haven't already bought the card somewhere else.

www.leetmod.com

I recently bought an Acekard 2i there and it arrived at my house 2 days later.

19. kickrz

kickrz Member

Did you ever purchase their screen protectors? I have heard that some and complete junk and there are few out there that work well.

Also from LeetMod.com they will load the firmware for me? Isn't that a great thing? Which do I want?
    v1.4 (For DSi 1.4U, 1.3U and lower)
    v1.41 (For DSi 1.41U, 1.4U and lower) ( +$1.00 )

And a preloaded system? Do I want/need that?

AND I have to ask do people lose the pens A LOT? I see they sell them in larger quantities and they sell them everywhere! Just curious :)

20. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I've never lost my stylus. And I have one of the original old 'phat' DS models. I don't use screen protectors either. But then again I don't really play games that require exclusive use of the touch screen.