1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What's your national form of music? Is it great or rubbish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RenaldoTT, Jan 8, 2010.

1. RenaldoTT

RenaldoTT Well-Known Member

I live in Trinidad, our national music is Calypso and Soca
    Btw Jamaica is Dancehall since I doubt it has any Jamaicans here and btw search Movado - Gully Christmas
    Black Rhyno - Bike Back, Movado - Gangster For Life, Vybz Kartel - Ramping Shop, Munga - Bad Fi Meh Born, Dr Evil - Batty Boys, etc

2. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

indonesia- most the music now ar rubbish, especially young bands

3. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

England. Hmm.. a lot of modern music comes from this country or America.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Same can be said about australia.

Seriously-the australian music here sucks, and people like the Veronica's just get's stale...but it's them and Kylie Minogue that made it big and it's all we have.

No Australian metal...well none that's decent :(

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

britpop can be good, or it can be absolute shit (think spice girls for how bad it can get).

british invasion rock is popular in many countries, especially america. (think the beatles, the animals etc)

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

There's always the mute button. Eye candy and all :)

7. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Be careful as 'britpop' is strictly speaking a form of alternative rock, the most famous examples being Blur and Oasis.

8. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

I'm from the Philippines, so we got a little thing we call OPM. Original Philippine Music.

We've got decent goings on in the industry, most songs telling of change and patriotism.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Actually, you got the thread's idea wrong.

The thread is about "your National form" of music, that's why the Topic Starter said Calypso, as I believe that is their country's National form of music. Just like with Spain & Flamenco, if I did get that one correct.

OPM, is definitely not our National Form of music and National Artists Julian Felipe & Jose Palma who wrote our National Anthem will most certainly rise up from their graves & kill you for saying OPM is our National form of music :p

However, if you think harder on the matter, we really do not have a form of music that is uniquely ours. As even the traditional & ethnic ones were brought/given to us by foreign occupants of our country. We then developed it further & called it our own.

However, if you really want to get all "historical & legally technical" about the whole matter. We do have Tinikling as our national form of dance, a long with it is it's accompanying song. Here's a Youtube video about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0PBgWI0vc

Note that if you listen & "analyze" the music playing it sounds a bit European in that it closely resembles Flamenco in a way.

HOWEVER, some nut case in Historical research claimed that Tinikling is not the national dance & that person put forward Cariñosa is our national form of dance which today is still debated.

Here is a video of Cariñosa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy18EXrueu0

Again, listen to the music, which sounds western.

And, dancubs, I'm sorry but you just proved my point in the "Bad Stereotypes" thread I made, this to be exact:

Sorry to be rude, but I do hope you get enlightened.

10. RenaldoTT

RenaldoTT Well-Known Member

yea you'r right Cahos...I was focusing on national music, music that historically originated in your country but it's ok if others want to talk about music their country made awesome, or any music lots of people in their country perform that is awesome. One can also talk about national instruments, for instance in Trinidad it's the pan. Which is exactly what its name is, an instrument firstly made from an oil drum since my country's main GDP is oil, we're one of the major oil exporters in the world, also we supply the US with tar, pitch/asphalt, we're one of the only countries to have an asphalt well. Anyway yea, the instrument was made with these old oil drums but now it's a more "high tech" instrument. If any of you know 50-cent when he first came out, his song PIMP the beginning was made with a pan, what is sad is that other countries actually want to take our instrument and make it their own, I don't who they are, but they've failed. But although my country is small people don't know how much our culture is actually mixed into theirs. Like a band here that sings Chutney music, which is also an original form of music, the bands name is Dil e Nadan and they player at the Queen of England I believes birthday and won best interternational group. I believe that was last year. So yea, next time you go on google maps, search Trinidad and Tobago, a lil island in the Caribbean. Or google us on the whole, just to learn a lil bit about us, who knows, you guys might teach me something, because I live hear so I wont bore myself by reading history on my country. But if anyone plans to visit and wants and idea before hand of cool places to visit, check me out. I know it's usually cold in December for some but it's usually warm here. So yea...by the way Carnival is coming up, It's not my cup of tea but if there is anyone here than likes to see bright colours, parade in bikinis, dance to music in the hot sun, etc. For more info. google it.

11. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

Nope. Statistics won't tell me I'm a hypocrite. I am happy to be Filipino. No one can take that away from me. Not numbers. Not you. Not admin. No one.

And yeah, okay, I misinterpreted the thread topic. So I accept the explanation, and acknowledge it's point and correctness according to the information present relevant to the topic.

12. Anne789

Anne789 Well-Known Member

Those originally dutch tearjerkers the people used to sing in bars and such.
    For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5leVQeK_3Ws

I don't like it.

13. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

RickRoll is the national song of the internet, imo.