1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Whats the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stirgo1212, Dec 1, 2009.

1. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

What do you think is the meaning of life? I don't know! You tell me!

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29

3. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Surely if the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42, then we can also donate the values of L, X and Y.

L= Life X = Universe Y = Everything

42 = XYL

42 divided by the Universe and then divided by Everything would thus be Life

Right? :cool:

That of course is according to google calculator and Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy, which in is entirely fictional.

The meaning of life is for you to find out for yourself, everyone has their own definition of things. Like for instance, everyone would define "Love" as a different thing.

Life could just be denoted as L.. We don't know, an impossible question which could take many different variables.

4. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

5. haseoTOD

haseoTOD Guest

It's pretty much 42.

6. Shibuku_Dogenzaka

Shibuku_Dogenzaka Well-Known Member

I like that explanation :]

For me, I can't put a definition on the meaning of Life, because it's something you find out as you live every day. The root of the meaning of life extends far greater than we can comprehend. To think about it will only (potentially) fry your brains :-\

..maybe we should stick to '42' then?

7. snebbers

Nice and gooey :) But my view on the matter, entirely. I'm glad you share the same opinion as me.

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Mine.

Life is an existance, to breath, to think, to move, you could call it a mear heart beat, but everyone forget's the thoughts many of us has...the emotions!

Meaning of death.

When your sick of other people's emotions.

When your sick

9. marcy

marcy Guest

The meaning of life is to live, not more and not less.

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

The Meaning of Life

truly they know what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt84uBuGKNk

11. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

this would of been better off in the debates section but i will give you my two cents.

it depends on your definition of the meaning of life and it boils down to different questions.

1. what is your own personal meaning of life

2. what is the meaning of life generally

3. what is the meaning of human life.

the truth is there is no "meaning" there is a purpose but no meaning, you can identify a personal meaning to your life if you have a theological outlook on life or you are that egocentric that you think one life or even the human race has any impact what so ever on the universe but that's for you to decide.

if you want the meaning of the second two or better said purpose it is nothing more then to survive/to exist/to carry on your gene.
    animals don't care about the meaning of life they just keep going working with nature to produce an eco system that sustains its self.
    and truthfully we are no different apart from the co existing with the nature/the world part.
    "but we have cognitive thought" i hear someone shout, well you need to look at the world again because we still do it.

1.we go to school to learn
    2.we learn to get a job
    3.we get a job so we have money
    4.we have money to support a family
    5. we have a family to carry on our gene, keep the human race going ect.
    6. we send our children to school so they can do the same.

so whether you want to argue that we have some sort of extra purpose we still do the same as any other organism on earth, there is no "meaning" of life the question is just by product of the human brain that can no longer understand the world on a natural level.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...I wonder if the dictionary can help us...

13. Shibuku_Dogenzaka

Shibuku_Dogenzaka Well-Known Member

Yes, this should be moved to the debates section, but no one is arguing anything, we're all just giving our honest opinions. I still stand with my opinion. Going into deeper speculation for the Meaning of Life is eventually going to bring in other valuables that relate to it. The more we delve into this, the more complicated it's going to get...

14. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

I don't you just ruined my favourite book. People should stop looking for meaning in life and just enjoy it, life in a way is a bit like art... and as Oscar Wilde once said.

15. equitypetey

looking deeper in to it may bring up more variables but it's only taking us further away from the answer.

we complicate everything to much and the question has a different meaning depending on the answer your looking for.

as i said if your looking for a personal meaning to your own life then that is for you to find out yourself.

On a biological level it is very simple as i already explained and to think that there is a reason life is here, why or what is the meaning for it is then that is a theological perspective and holds no bearing on the meaning of life past your own belief.

16. robolink

robolink Well-Known Member

The meaning of life for the human race and many others are to Survive and to Procreate, just because we have a complex thought process does not mean we have any other meaning.

BUT if you are asking what YOUR meaning of life is and not "what the meaning of life is" then that depends on the person.

Personally I found out (by hanging out with potheads) what the "not primal" meaning of life is, sadly its rather simple.

Be Happy. whatever it is that makes you happy, do whatever you can to make it reality. You don't live long so live happy.

17. T-A.L.O.S.

T-A.L.O.S. Well-Known Member

...the purpose of life is to end...

18. equitypetey

that's what i just said

19. Jiminy Crickets

Jiminy Crickets Well-Known Member

The meaning of life is to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and all thy mind and all thy soul.

We were created for Him by Him and without him we would never of been. :)

Jesus is his name!
    He is the Christ and King of Kings!
    The first and the Last!
    The Alpha and Omega!
    The Lamb as well as the Lion!
    His word is sharper than any two edged sword!

Christ in you the hope of Glory is the answer to the mystery my friend.
    There is a hole in all of our hearts that can only be filled by him. :)

I hope that helps bro. :)

20. snebbers

On a not so serious note

[​IMG]