1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What's the deal with people in a local forum wanting to meet up frequently?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I just don't get it? ???

Besides RomUlation I frequent a local games discussion forum & about a third of the things people discuss is/are an EB, or Eyeball in short which is slang for a get together, either in general (GEB) where everyone on the forum meet up in a planned event with activities as well. Or mini group EBs involving a few people. I know it'd be cool to personally get to know people in a forum, like here at RomUlation, but in my time spent here I seem to have acquired the taste for annonymity (sorry if I got that wrong), sure we talk about alot of stuff here but we still have private lives we keep to ourselves.

It's getting to be annoying because there were already three EBs I didn't attend because I just plain didn't want to & everyone's getting this idea that I'm either a snob or worse a poser. Isn't sharing our oppinions, ideas &/or interests enough to say we belong in a group or community?

2. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

It's not your fault, many don't go.
    Personally I believe meeting the real people can sometimes be a let down, as you expect people to look like a great figure like their personality may be. Sometimes friendships stay better by not meeting people in real life because you don't prejudice on looks and voice plus it's free (usually).

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's also what I think, what you "expect" might not be what you were thinking off.

Oh & back to cjdogger again!? You're giving me a headache ::)

4. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I'm CJDogger because i'm behaving, it's not my choice.
    The nice me gets this nick, bad me get's CJKittyKat

Back on topic: Did you know that I wrote a poem on this sorta... Basically the point was that it doesn't matter what they look like as long as inside they are nice people.
    I think friendships stay better if you don't know everything, plus many internet users are rather shy

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yeah that seems true with the rest of the world, plus it helps to be a bit careful, who knows if these people are planning to rape you right? OK that's a bit paranoid yes, but you hear this happening at times.

6. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

lol :D

i'd call that MAJOR paranoia

Anonymity is fine, and i'm sure most people expect it

7. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

One time, I did go out to meet some people, BUT we could never find each other at MOA, haha.

8. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

yeah...some things are more beautiful when left undefined.

9. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

The best meetings are the ones with a large amount of people getting togeather to have fun. If you're just going around saying "Hi, I'm Deathbreak! Are you disappointed that I don't look as awesome as I sound on the forums?" and you're just out having fun and talking and making friends with a few specific people.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

well I once flew out to the US to meet a guy I met on a forum, he was late to the airport so I wondered if he was going to show up or not, but he eventually arrived (I think his dad had trouble getting the truck started). I had an awesome holiday staying with them for two weeks, we managed to destroy several radio controlled aircraft, almost blow ourselves up lighting a camp fire with petrol (gas, and we never did that again). and midnight walks around the area (it was actually warm enough to do that). That guy is now one of my best friends, and I spend a holiday at his place every year. (though sadly his father passed about 5-6 months after my first visit). So it can work out.

11. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

That's awesome Loony! I wish I can make friends like that online :(

12. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

how long did you know him online before you decided to meet?

13. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well people in the forum didnt want to meet me, but people always want to meet me in person when i play MMO....

14. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

...Don't you play MMO's as a girl character though?

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

6 months to a year. we'd been talking online using IM for almost that length of time, and the forum I met him on we were both long standing members of (him longer than me, although he'd been on a leave of absence for the entire 2-3 years of my membership at that point). It was a fairly secular forum, which a pretty close-knit community of similar people.

16. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

ya i did, maybe i did alittle too well....

17. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Personally I don't really have an opinion on this; i'm quite unsure. On one side you could get dissapointed or you may meet somebody with bad intentions. But on the other side you could do more things with that person and it could satisfy your curiosity.

It's your opinion that desides it but do remember to make sure it won't get dangerous espescially if you are young

18. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

id love to meet up with CJdogger, Seph and Loony because they all seem so funny... oh and that crazytuna... ain't seen much of him lately. But that's cool, i never met people online in real life

19. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Woo, i'm liked <3
    Yeah, you seem cool to :D

20. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

One good reason to meet up is so you can drink beer (or rum for them pirates) with each other.

A reason I've never met up, is that generally people come from all over the world, which is a problem.