1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Whats a job for a 12 year old kid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bikeboy99, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bikeboy99

bikeboy99 Well-Known Member

Lookin for a job so i can get some money , any ideas?

2. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

try bringing news paper to people or go to babysit at some people or doing things people dont like to do like washing someones car

3. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

What country do you live in? The laws and jobs available differ.
    PS. I'm assuming this is related to your other thread?

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Top 5 jobs for kids available in my country:

1. Selling flower wreaths on the street.
    2. Collecting used cans, newspapers & glass products & selling 'em to the local scrap yard.
    3. Selling fruits, vegetables & street foods.
    4. Selling plastic bags at a wet market, or....
    5. Being a crafty but lowly pick pocket :p

6. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

They are not ALL of those, but you got 'em.
    (Sampaguitas for 10.00Php, anyone?)

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well here's more then:

Working at a firecracker manufacturing company - very common in Bulacan.

Deep sea fish gatherer divers.

Selling bread (at sun up)

Selling cigarettes & candies in busy streets.

Heavy loads carriers at a market.

bead work vendors.

MMORPG in game item (or even in game character/s) sellers, selling their stuff in exchange for real money.

EDIT: Here's two more:

Collector for illegal betting games.

drainage ditch & sewer canal scavengers, closely related to recyclables collecting.

8. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Depends where you live. If you live in Thailand you could make a small fortune ;) try and contact this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gadd

But serious now, when I was young I used to go round with a bucket and sponge and offer to wash peoples cars, at 12 theres not a lot you can do.

9. bikeboy99

Australia is where i am

10. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Oh thats easy then, sell sunscreen and beer.
    Isnt that what all aussies do, lay in the sun and get pissed? Or do we have the wrong impression in the UK?

11. bikeboy99

:l Yeh thats EXACTLY what we do

12. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Pick fruit and vegetables in the fields.
    Asparagus harvesting is a big draw for little kids in these parts. You get paid by the pound.

When I was in school, you had to get permission from the school to get a job. We had to apply for Work Permits. The school could decide to not allow you to work if your grades were bad enough. They also had all the info on what type of jobs you were allowed to do as a child, and how long you were allowed to work. There were limits on how late you could work on school days, and limits to the total number of hours, work and school, you could have per week.

Obviously the laws regarding child labor vary by country. But your local authorities are the best ones to ask.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

So true.

Here child labor is considered un-allowable especially for hazardous jobs like sifting garbage at a dump site or prodding through sewage. But the hand law isn't strongly enforced :(

14. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm gonna assume Australia is much like New Zealand in terms of its labour laws.

When you're twelve you've got basically no chance of getting a commercial job. Your only real alternatives are stuff like babysitting or around-the-house jobs for family and friends of the family. I got my first job at 14 iirc, helping my Dad on a local vineyard. Next job was just before I turned 16, as a dishwasher at a winery restaurant.

Now, if you're asking us for suggestions you obviously don't have much idea of what work actually is. You actively go look for it, or ask your parents to talk to people they know who might have a use for you. I honestly cannot see you getting a part-time job until you are at least 14, though.

15. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I think here in the US the only job a 12 year old can get is farm work or paper routes, unless it's work for a family member, the laws a little less strict then. At 14 I got a job stocking shelves at a convenience store. It was only about 5-10 hours of work a week, usually a couple hours one day a week when the grocery deliver was made, then a few hours each day over the weekend keeping the shelves stocked and handling bottle returns.

16. bikeboy99

I know what work is, nobody round where i live would trust a 12 year old, I've already tried around the house jobs and got about $70, i've looked around for a paper route and nothing. I've only been looking for a couple of days

17. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

I live in Australia and I think your best bet would be just working for pocket money with friends, family, etc.
    A couple of months and I can get a real job.

18. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

What's the age of consent in Australia? You may want to venture in to that area depending on the laws there.

19. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

I have 3 more to add if you will allow it.

- Delivery boy for drug pusher parents that let children do their dirty jobs
    - You could sell organs, its better than being kidnapped and waking up in a bathtub with ice, right?
    - There are many pedophiles here, if you want dollar, i heard mostly girls get that job, while boys are attracted to local gay pedophiles. When I was in Highschool, we got a report that we should avoid a certain mall cause of gays offering 500PHP or a bag of gaming tokens to have boys accompany them. Damn... lucky guys, easy money.

20. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I bet you don't.
    ---
    Legal age of working in Singapore is 14. I plan to work next year, help my mum with her financial issues.