1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What will you do if a blackout happen for 1 week??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhatomKids, Feb 17, 2008.

1. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

i think i just sleep since i cannot use the computer or cannot charge my nds or do anything

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I'll probably just knock myself out to pass the time :p

3. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Wouldnt worry me much. Ive live with my partner ill have plenty to do. Also have gas for heating, hotwater and cooking so im sorted. I love camping and outdoors crap anyway so im used to living on basics, try 2months in the bush with everything you need on your back :)

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I would hope the university would bring in generators. The emergency lighting is only good for 3-4 hours and after that we have to be evacuated for health and safety reasons. Last time that meant spending the night in the university library.

5. PhatomKids

try this for blackout

http://www.rantdog.com/blackout/

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I'd get my bike and start generating some electricity so that my laptop could keep running. :)

7. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

I don't think it would affect me that much at all....
    Apart from having to use an old-fashioned kettle....

8. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe I'll just play soccer, football (Most likely not this one), Basketball, or even Badminton to pass the time, or study...since our school has a generator, and the only thing they purposely not power is the cumputer lab...Or I'll just go to manila to my cousin's house ;D

9. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I'd actually go outside :p. Power outages happen quite a lot in my country, so you get used to it.

10. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

It happens alot over here in the Philippines too, but it gets restored quick...never been out for like over two weeks, one week at the most ;D

11. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

cooking... XD

and playing TCG

12. PhatomKids

I search and search in the darkness for my ipod....

but i only found MESELF.....

13. ultra

ultra Guest

it depends;
    on the season. if it's summer, my god it will be hell due to the heat. if it's winter it's fine as you'll still get heat, hopefully.

if it's a school season then it depends if it's a global blackout like the one that occured 2-3 years ago in the east side of america, then class and school might be cancelled until the problem is solved. if class is in session and school is not closed, then i'll have to hitch a ride on a bus that is going to manhattan [into the city] and then transfer to another bus that is going uptown on the west side of manhattan towards 137th street. this ride will probably last me 2-3 hours because the bus makes frequent stops. coming back home would me a nightmare because i leave at night and at night the buses are limited on time and numbers. but i do believe that school will be cancelled until it's solved.

if it's not a school season then i'll probably just hang-out outside going for a walk. eat out more as restaurants are selling their stuff cheaper to prevent loss. if the restaurants don't sell during the blackout, their things will go to waste from rottage. this is of course during the day light hours. at night i'll more then likely stay home and catch up on readings that i haven't finished on like that book king leopolds ghost or on chinese lessons.

if it's not a global blackout but just in where i live [apartment or house] it won't be a problem as it's just a normal day except when you go home there's no electricity. so anything that will require electricity would be recharged either at school or at work. at night, i'll go home and play the ds, catch up on my readings or watch a battery operated black and white television [5" screen].

14. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

Get out my still-loved gameboy color, which has been using the same set of batteries for close on six months, and play tetris more than usual.
    In england, temperature doesn't really fluctuate much. Summer isn't unbearable hot, winter isn't unbearably cold. We don't really need heating and bloody hell, nobody uses air conditioners at home!

15. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

And i thought i was the only one with batteries for life stockage XD

16. ultra

ultra Guest

everyone still uses batteries. i use rechargable batteries, it has it's pros and cons.
    pro, it's rechargeable so you bring the charger to work and charge it there. so in essence you sort of get a free battery charge

con, there are some devices that would not work if you use the battery. my sisters digi cam would shut down immidiately when using the rechargeable battery [they were fully charged btw and they were 2300 amps or whatever that number means].

17. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

i'd love a blackout - i'd loot stuff... liberate parked cars... liberate all the zoo animals... start a fire in my neighbours shed... knock on people's doors and run off... set my ds to be an absolute power saver and ride it out... run the streets naked at night... ride my bmx naked at night... steal a few security cameras... take car hood ornaments... the list could go on

jeez, you all can't live without electricity - think of all the possibilities

18. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Don't forget the baby boom, People feel lonely in the dark ;)

19. Patton

Patton Guest

Nothing would happen to my compound. Whole-house natural gas generator would be running everything.Now, if natural gas somehow went down, it will automatically use Diesel. -Patton

20. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Now i know where you leave your farts