1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What name for the wii was better, Wii or Revolution

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by waylonn, Jul 16, 2008.

1. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Fight over it here!
    I think it should be Revolution, sounds better then Wii.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Uh Revolution, Nitro is better than DS (Nitro = codename for DS), but it doesn't really matter now.

3. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Yes, Revolution sounds better than WII, why did,nt they keep that name.

4. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

It's a Wiivolution!

5. Peter Clark

Peter Clark Active Member

I prefer Wii, Revolution sounds like an old console. Wii is different, original. And that's better.

And DS also sounds better than Nitro.

"What are you playing?" "Nitro." Doesn't sound good.

6. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

nitro sounds like a drug if you put it that way....

7. anandjones

That's why it's better sounding :p But I bet most of you never knew that the codename for DS is Nitro.

8. waylonn

I didn't know it :p

9. ultra

ultra Guest

this has been debated when nintendo decided to renamed the console before launch. even miyamoto prefered it but said that the change was necessary.

if you carefully examine the name, you'll notice that the name wii sounds like it's user friendly and such and such where the console has become to be known for. while the word revolution sounds something for the hardcore people or that it sounds harsh.

for instance, take the word "fuck you", where you can use to say i hate you or i dislike you.
    when comparing, "fuck you" is a lot harsher and unfriendly as compared to i dislike you.
    though the idea is striking, one offers a more aggressive side while the other offers a more calmer side.

10. anandjones

Hmm, interesting, when I say fuck you, it means I like the person. Hmm.. I can see what you mean though. Nintendo seem to use a lot of "cute" names lately.

11. waylonn

You're right with that cute names one ;)

12. ultra

ultra Guest

and it works. they have managed to make the nintendo name which stands for everyone and not for a specific audience. know a days when you hear people say wii, it will refer that they too will be able to play.

with what nintendo have done, they have made loyal customers. when the next generation of consoles are out, you'll see that there will be just the same amount of wii buyers for nintendo's next console. why, because no one right now other then nintendo is offering what nintendo is offering to them, experiencing gaming for the first time. so when the second time comes, people know what to expect from nintendo because nintendo was there to give them the experience and that experience stays.

think computer parts, everyone buys asus brand motherboards because asus has provided them with excellence. once they experience that excellence, they will comeback for it.

all in all, nintendo knows what they are doing and the name change was okay.

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

your points aren't necessarily true, the name is chosen to appeal to a specific audience. I have had every nintendo console since the SNES, but I'm not getting a wii. Equally, my current motherboard is an Asus (emergency purchase when my DFI LanParty died suddenly), but I'm not planning to replace it with another Asus, I'm getting a Tyan instead. As I said, the wii appeals to a specific audience, which I am not part of. The previous name would appeal to a different audience, which nintendo decided not to target. this is nothing to do with names, or establishing customer loyalty; it is all about targeting a specific market, and catering to that market. If nintendo were to target a different market with their next console, then there would not be as many wii owners buying it, but there would be other people buying it; people who would previously have bought from a different manufacturer who catered to their market. The people who bought wiis this time around would buy sony or micro$oft next time if they produced a product that was targeted to that specific market.

14. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

The Wii because there is many puns you can make about it, like a child in a game shop telling his mother "I really need a Wii mum!" :p

And loony, the name doesn't really sell the console and neither does a specific market, they are just factors... I've got a 360 and a Wii, that isn't because of the name and who it's aimed at, it's the gameplay and what it does...

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

== defines the target market.

16. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

No because it's not a group/stereotype of people, people just pick the consoles which are the best.

17. waylonn

I'll stay on Nintendo, only other than Nintendo Console is my PS2...

18. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I'll always stay with nintendo handhelds but i've been dissapointed with the amount of games the modern nintendo consoles get (Gamecube and wii), what I won't get anymore is Sony consoles, the PS3 is the biggest letdown in console history, too expensive and it's only good quality is graphics, that's my opinion.

19. waylonn

I Agree with that, only Time Crisis 4 for PS3 is cool gameplay, they stole it from the Wii though... ( You have a gun and aim with it on the screen with sensors...)

20. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

The another main reason people bought the PS3 was that it had GTA IV, the dissapointment they'll find when they play it...
    That was the worst Grand Theft Auto game ever.... :p Good job I didn't pay for mine :) PS3 doesn't even have Halo :p but it may have in the future that the PS3 will ruin :(