1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What is the real American Dream?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damanali, Apr 14, 2010.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

What is it and is it attainable in today's system?

2. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

It's owning a gun and driving a pick-up truck. Going to the nearest wall mart and buying food that has more chemicals and preservatives than cocaine does. Then you can go on to lose your own culture and heritage, ending up talking and looking like something out of a sitcom.

That, my friend, is the american dream.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Australian version, except it's big W or even Kmart here :p

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

From what I could tell from American Television, the "current" American dream is to be rich, by all means necessary. Which means kill thy neighbor if necessary.

But the old, "American Dream" of yore was to have your own piece of land, marry a good wife & have a whole lot of kids.

5. Zdroyd

Zdroyd Active Member

I find that Family Guy, The Simpsons, American Dad, and other shows like them are perfect examples of what our dreams have become.

How sad...

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Oh dear....

You do realize that those shows are merely social satire, that is they're merely poking fun at what things are currently happening do you? They don't necessarily portray the real world as it is.

What's real though are teen pregnancy, kids dropping out of school, teens going the thuglife & a lot of those bad things you hear about on the news.

7. Zdroyd

Zdroyd Active Member

Wow, OBVIOUSLY I was being sarcastic. But OBVIOUSLY you waist your time going around the forum shooting down the people who are just trying to continue the conversations. (Losen up.)

But yes, I will have to agree with you on the "those bad things you hear about on the news" except for the fact that some of us actual see/live through that stuff. Its not just "on the news".

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well I'm sorry to tell you, when a topic is asking a serious question I do tend to take it seriously.

I'm not one of those jerks in a box types, just so you know.

9. sensei

sensei Active Member

Funny. We're doing that in school right now.

Our operational definition is: The American Dream is the chance to fulfill your dreams with the only restriction being your own willingness to do so.

Of course you can argue about that definition.

Anyway there is this saying "from dishwasher to millionaire", that pretty much sums up the American dream I guess.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I pretty much agree with you here.

Remember that the so called "American Dream" came about with the massive immigration by the first American settlers who were escaping the old ways of Europe. Specifically with regards to the Nobility & the church.

11. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Right now, I would say the "American Dream" for present time is for Obama to not f*ck up stuff anymore than what he has, and keep from going into a second "depression" and get some goddamn jobs back on American soil so it gets everyone off of unemployment, make up for where the ball got dropped during the Clinton era, and stop pissing off foreign countries....I could go on but I hate politics, plus its a personal opinion. If I had my way I would move and be done with it all.

12. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

For settlers: the American dream used to be, "move to America, get tons of free land, and start a new life without religious persecution."

For aboriginal Americans: "Foreigners get the fuck out."

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

LOL!

Good one.

Sadly back then, the European settlers wanted the land (of the new world) for themselves without any disregard to the land's true & original owners the Native American people. Now these proud people are a mere minority in a land that once belonged to them.

The old "American Dream" of yore maybe founded on good ideals & interests, but attaining it was based on conquest.

14. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

The Cleveland show portrays the 'American dream' perfectly

15. Zdroyd

Zdroyd Active Member

LOL My point exactly.

But in the end I think that the American Dream is simply being successful and happy in life. Nothing more.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well if that's it then it's not just an American Dream as every average Joe wants that.

Me on the other hand want Armageddon to start NOW GOD DAMN IT!

17. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Surely the new American dream is not to end up like Detroit. To dream for more would be just silly.

18. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

Fixed.

19. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

They'res nothing wrong with Detroit! :p

20. Zdroyd

Zdroyd Active Member

It depends; the Lions are a perfect example of why there IS something wrong with Detroit.