1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What IS nothing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jc_106, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

hello, folks.

i've seen a topic that quite discusses about philosophy, and another one is truly about philosophy. i quite like philosophy, and i've been thinking about this subject for some time.

what is nothing? how do you define nothing?

i think it's technically impossible to say ''what are you doing?'' ''nothing.'', because you have to do something anytime, anywhere.

post your ideas. i want to see them.

nice thinking. :)

2. ultra

ultra Guest

you can't take the word nothing into a literal term when someone asks you the question, what are you doing?
    the reply nothing is a slang that would suggest you're at home watching boring tv or doing something that is lacking of interest to the person or etc....

nothing would mean nothing, where maybe you walk into a store and you say, there is nothing here, where nothing may imply that there are no customers other then yourself. the other reference to nothing when you go into a store may refer to the lack of interest on the good or services that the store offers.

we do know that nothing has the idea of emptiness, where existance is gone.

this is an okay topic, what would be a good topic to discuss is human behavior of malevolence [being bad or destructive]. why is it that in the united states, we don't overthrow the government and such, even though we can [we rebel, uprise and assassinate the federal structure]. yet, in other nations, people overtake their presidency, assainate their presidents and become a militaristic or whatever country. what is it that makes the people living in the united states not do that but in other countries the people do overtake their president??

3. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

unfortunately they way definitions work these days makes it impossibly to define nothing. As soon as you define nothing it becomes something.

4. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's the point. nothing is a stupid word. there's no such thing as nothing.

5. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

6. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Those defs are man made. This about it in terms of philosophy. There can't be nothing without something.

7. calvin_0

it wont be call nothing if there is something....

8. CloudBoy101

Exactly, which means the only real way you could state that there's nothing is if you said "there's nothing here but me" And the only way that could truly apply is if you where in a alternate dimensional space with no stars, no planets, no........nothing........

god, this is stoner talk to the max :D

9. calvin_0

"there's nothing here but me" = too long, not effective to be use...

"nothing" = short, and effective.

10. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

hey, where did my post go?

11. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

but that could never possibly be true, everything has some sort of mollecular mass.

12. CloudBoy101

That's why I said alternate dimension :D

13. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

but nothing is something. i mean, if we really wanted to mean "nothing" wouldnt we say nothing? like not say anything?

14. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

that's the kind of stupid sentences i'm talking about. there has to be something beside one other something.

15. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

"nothing" is the space between universes. well, it's now filled up wtih millions of cyber men and daleks - doctor who told me

i made a post in the "hologram universe" thread mentioning the "empty void" in the universe. except it isn't really empty, it just contains a lot less anything than other parts of the universe. well, if tehre is so little matter there shouldn't the space between the matter be classed as "nothing"?

and why is nothing black? for there to be black all wavelenghts of visible light must be absorbed and none reflected. so what colour do you get if there is no light? light including all wavelenghts from infra red to ultra violet. what colour should "nothing" represent? black is something, so it doesn't qualify to be the colour of nothing.

16. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

literal term the absence of anything, but its not stupid to use in normal language to say your doing nothing is realy just short for "i'm doing nothing of interst" or nothing imparticular but its just quicker to say nothing.
    by the way america is up thee with one of the most barbaric countrys in the world your govenment are bullys and don't like anyone esle having anypower.

but the reason is because your retard oh sorry i mean president is part of a democrasy and the people have chosen to put him there and are led to believe they get what they want and believe they are free. other countrys that have this problem are not democratic and are under dictateorship which obviously pisses people off and makes them rebel, these countrys have also been in a war like state for a long time so all those that have grown up in it fighting is all they know its a vicious cercle.

17. CloudBoy101

So, all in all, in our knowledge, there is no "nothing"

18. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

well, there's no space between UNIverses, there's only one, henceforth the name UNI.

in my knowledge, nothing is a meaningless word.

19. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

i have worked it out!!!

nothing is a human concept of emptyness. it isnt a noun, it doesnt actually have a philisophical meaning. its just a concept.

sounds good?

20. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ it depends how you use it, noun, adjective, ect. ect. like anything the meaning changes, but we were talking about actual nothing and not the term. Philosophy, not english.