1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What is light, without darkness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corprlfish, Mar 28, 2010.

1. corprlfish

corprlfish Well-Known Member

I was thinking the other day, you can't have light, without darkness to overpower.

There will always be darkness inside light, and there will always be light inside darkness.

You can't see a torches light on a sunny day, yet you can see it clearly on a dark night.

2. ADMSeraphes

ADMSeraphes Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... fairly paradoxial, never mind if it sounds contradictory or weird or just plain stupid. That's how I interpret it.

3. corprlfish

It hurts my head just thinking about it 0.0

4. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Light is electromagnetic radiation, with or without darkness. Whether or not humans can perceive it doesn't change this fact.

If you want to get philosophical, it's better to use more abstract terms. For example, you could say that hope is the absence of despair or vice versa. However, this is still a case of counter-definition, which is somewhat tautological, but that's often the nature of antonyms for you. See also: Newspeak, from George Orwell's 1984.

So perhaps it would be better to make a more specific argument in regards to abstract concepts. To continue the previous example, one could argue that "it takes true despair to realise true hope" and/or vice versa, or something to this effect.

PS: Consider yourself lucky that I decided not to bother with the physics of the initial premise ;)

5. corprlfish

I wasn't trying to get philosophical, I was just saying, there will always be darkness in light..... Like.... Shadows?

6. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

It sounds like your trying to sound smart. That "paradox" is just retarded.

7. corprlfish

If I was trying to sound smart, I would have added words with 26 letters >.>

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

For the sake of good reading, please post the physics of the matter, while I may not understand it...well maybe I will I don't know, need something to think about...

Kill the sun and darkness will freeze us to death, take away the darkness and ethier sleep deprivation or the fact we'd all burn to death would.

With a balance of both, it'll only delay what will come later on via old age/crap luck/stupidity.

9. corprlfish

And ninjas.... Ninjas like to fuck shit up >=)

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Ninjas just use the darkness to bring foolish mortals to certain doom, after all guns blazing doesn't always work.

Though even if a ninja is spotted thanks to some light, they'd snuff it out or just run away to strike back later.

11. corprlfish

Leave it to hypnos to find a way to make ninjas relevant to the topic at hand ^.^
    lolz

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Lol is light, stfu is dark.

You lol at darkness, it'll tell you to stfu, if you say STFU to light, it'll lol at you.
    Post Merge: [time]1269770937[/time]
    And keep it on topic please, thank you.

[me=hYpNoS]is bored[/me]

13. tehuber1337

Well, if that's the way you want to play it...
    EDIT: This isn't going to work. Light is a physical thing, whereas darkness is an abstract term referring to something being less illuminated than something else. I'd rather not get into semantical tautology here, but you can't achieve much more than a very superficial level of "correctness" by comparing the two terms like this.
    This doesn't mean the torchlight isn't there during the day, it just means the torchlight is overpowered by sunlight.

Anyway, my point is that the paradox only holds true within a (very limited) human-subjective scope.

/thread

14. corprlfish

Yes, but you can't have light without darkness, just like you can't have water without 2 part hydrogen and one part oxygen, or you can't have fire without heat, fuel and air.

15. tehuber1337

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the sunlight perfectly illuminates everything and all shadows have been dispelled. The torch still emits light of its own, no? Even if there's no darkness to visibly illuminate, the light is there. Even you, holding the torch, emit heat and other forms of electromagnetic radiation, invisible though it may be.

16. corprlfish

Hmmmmmmmmm.... You have a good point.

17. p4tman

p4tman Guest

Light is evil Light is Kira. :p
    Ryuk might be the reference to dark.

18. tehuber1337

19. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

Light and darkness is dependent on each other, without light, one will never know what is darkness and vice versa.

light and darkness wasnt the only dependancy around us, there is left and right, male and female, up and down, winner and losser.

20. corprlfish

Hot and cold, white and black.