1. This forum is in read-only mode.

what g can a r4 sdch use

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by gameboy5.0, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

hay i like to know what g a a r4 sdch can use i am thinking of get a 2 g so i can get some more games

2. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

by g do you mean GB (gigabytes)?
    if so, it can support up to 16GB I believe

3. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

Or do you mean gravity? I would imagine it would work fine at most tolerable levels for a human - though this has not been tested. I'll ask the guys and gals on the ISS to test in 0g also.

4. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Im sure r4 sdch can use upto 32gb as it was sed

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Space isn't zero gravity, its microgravity.

6. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

...Y'know, when I first read this thread, I thought to myself "nah, now's not exactly the best time or place for a physics lecture." Now that Loony himself has taken up the torch, however, I'm not so sure.

Let's get this party started.

Firstly, the term "0g" (ie "zero-g") does not, contrary to Loony popular belief, refer to a lack of gravitational force. According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, every object in the universe exerts a gravitational force on every other that is proportional to the mass of the objects in question and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them; in order for a particular mass to become gravitationally unbound from another, the distance between them must be infinite. Rather, "zero-g" is used in describing a g-force of zero. The term "g-force" is an unfortunate misnomer as it does not actually refer to a gravitational force, but acceleration due to gravity.

Now then, let's discuss what a zero g-force means practically. Consider the following thought experiment: you are standing in an elevator. The reaction force of the floor against your feet is known as your apparent weight. Now, perhaps the elevator moves; regardless of whether it moves up or down, you would feel a change in the magnitude of the force of the floor against your feet and thus a change in your apparent weight. If the elevator were to accelerate downwards at 9.8m/s2 (which for brevity's sake we'll recognise here as g, the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface), the floor will no longer exert a force on your feet to counter the effects of gravity that caused your feet to exert a force on the floor in the first place. Disregarding air resistance and other such factors, both you and the elevator will be in free fall; your apparent weight will be zero, and this is referred to as weightlessness. Note that in such an instance, the g-force you experience will be zero.

Finally, let's take a look at microgravity. By definition, it refers to environments in which acceleration due to gravity has "little to no measurable effect"; as explained earlier, gravity itself is ever-present. For argument's sake, let's say that the acceleration due to gravity that a mass in a microgravity environment experiences becomes zero. However, a zero g-force also refers to zero acceleration due to gravity. Both terms refer to the same concept of weightlessness.

Therefore, Loony's "correction" is unfortunately quite redundant. Quod erat demonstrandum.

I'll leave you with this wall of text that probably explains at least some things better than I can.

7. gameboy5.0

gameboy5.0 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.