1. This forum is in read-only mode.

what does god have to do with the status of your country?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultra, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

i'm just asking for thoughts and comparisons.

i'm asking because i talked to my manager at dunkin and he gives some bull [might be true or not]. like all tv station in the US are owned my jews [don't know if that's true or not]. anyway, i'm a bit confused as to why people suicide for god when they are clearly doing it for the sake of their country.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Err this is a very complicated subject, I'd like to be able to say nothing but there are of course extremists who try to promote their stupid mission.

Generally though religion isn't a big thing in Denmark and those who are religious don't try to force it onto the rest of us.

Btw your managers statement sounds more based on racism than on facts.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

people who commit suicide in the name of their 'god' (which ever one they believe in) are either insane or mislead. There is no major religion that I know of which promotes suicide or acts of violence. Islam most certainly does not.

4. Reider

Reider Modereider

God must hate America for letting an idiot like Bush be put in charge.

5. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

It's Christians versus Muslims here. The muslims are coming here for the good west, while the local population seems to be affectionate to the Christian politics again. I wonder where this will go.

6. Lancaster

Lancaster Well-Known Member

Religion has been the cause of a majority of the wars throughout mankind. That's why I am of no religion. No, I'm not atheist. I do believe there is a god and I also believe that there is no true religion.

7. Loonylion

the ironic thing is that there are many similarities between today's major religions. indeed, it is possible they all worship the same god.

8. Elru

Elru Well-Known Member

Well to answer the question about suicide bombings, Muslim extremists believe anything christian to be a "Infidel" or better known as one who is ignorant of the truth and in their eyes if you take your own life while eliminating an infidel you will be seen as a matyr which is a religious hero of sorts.

I am a devout Buddhist so my religious beliefs aren't too strict.
    8)

9. Loonylion

Muslim extremists actually violate the teachings of the Qu'ran by carrying out those acts though.

10. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

woa :eek: some stories....man....me personally I dont have a religion stopped believing in my religion a long time because I dont believe in half the crap that most religions say, specially when they do craizy shit like rapping, practically I agree with some of you peeps were their is no religion, because me personally I do believe in God and the Virgin Marry, but in my heart, not were Ima go do something stuped and go suacidle, I mean woa ::) thats not right.

But I think most peeps got it wrong, because all the religions like muslianism, christianism, chatolism, same thing, ishmaism.....and some other religions I cant recall or remember............they all beleive in the same GOD, they just have diff names and diff images, but practically I beleive its the same god..........ours is just god, muslims is the big dude budda etc et is all the same. however if it were come to a big clue, I think the religions are the rullers of the country.........around the world.....the us militia is just a backbone, the real ruler is religion itself, if ya ask me. someone wise told me that....... ;D, dunno could be wrong with what hes saying..........or actually ment to say.

11. Loonylion

bit of a mistake there. Muslims worship Allah, (Who, according to the Qu'ran, has 99 different names). Buddhists follow the teachings of the Buddha, who is not their god, but is the major 'prophet' as it were. The Buddha teaches his followers that by walking the eightfold path and living a life of good deeds, kindness and compassion, they will reach Nirvana and become Enlightend.

Islam teaches Muslims to obey the teachings of Allah, contained in the Qu'ran, and to uphold the Five Pillars of Islam. I can't remember them offhand (loooooooooooooooooong time since I did religious studies) but one of them was essentially 'give to charity', and another was 'make a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in your life'.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I follow neither religion so above is just what I remember from religious studies lessons many years ago.

12. Prototype

no, naww I aint got nothin to say....dont know much bout religion, I just follow whats in my heart and not in my head....;D, naww really good point there......

13. Lancaster

Lancaster Well-Known Member

Every religion basically worships the same god, but they give him a different now. Religion means "The way of worship". It is man's way that they worship god. Anything manmade has its flaws and religion is one of them. That's why there is no true religion and the reason why I'll never be a part of one. I've studied a majority of them and these are my own thoughts. I could go on and on, but this is a touchy subject.

14. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Btw, do you see science as a religion?

15. Loonylion

lol, reminds me of when I did a presentation about witchcraft at school. As part of my research, my sister showed me a report from an education psychologist stating that magic doesnt exist. I posted it on an occult forum to see how people reacted; and someone pointed out that psychology could be considered a religion :p

16. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

In My country..Ireland that is..the church held sway over the country since..well since always.people feared the church..the church controlled everything...education, health..and it had alot of influence on the government..In the past 15-20 years though, because of the economic boom and the mistakes the church made and everything..the country has become extremely secularised..the church in this country is laughed at now...
    Wait ::) ...what was the question?

17. Loonylion

yes, religion has always been a powerful weapon in the wrong hands...

EDIT: Thinking about my own religion, its interesting. I am an eclectic Wiccan (meaning I do not fully adhere to the Wiccan religion, I mix it with some parts of other religions, and my own personal beliefs, i.e I celebrate Christian holidays such as Christmas and Easter, but I also practise spellcasting). Wicca actually has a means of self-regulation when it comes to people using religion to have power over others (ex. the Puritans and extremist Muslim Clerics). As we are not exactly an 'organised' religion, we do not have a leader, in the same way that Catholics have the Pope, for example. Therefore, the most people that any one witch could have power over would be a single coven, which is traditionally thirteen people, without resorting to means such as mind-control magic, which would have its own severe repercussions on the caster. (Certain branches of magic are forbidden, mind control among them). We do have people who are respected highly within the religion, these people tend to be authors, but their works are by no means considered to be definitive.

We do not have a bible; Wiccans create their own personal 'bible' detailing their spiritual journey through life. This is a highly personal book and is called a 'Book of Shadows'. It must be protected above all else, because in the wrong hands the contents can render the author vulnerable to an extent that only a complete reversal of their practise can protect against. My BoS is one of the few things on my computer that is permanently encrypted. Even the encrypted version is far from complete; it is mostly stored in my head.

We only have one 'commandment' as such, but it encompasses everything the Christian commandments do, and more. It is called the Wiccan Rede ('rede' is an old word meaning 'rule' or 'law') and it runs thus:
    'harm' is defined as anything that has a negative effect on another being or the planet. In modern English, this means you can do anything that will not cause any harm in any shape or form, to any being or entity. This is extremely difficult, so we fall back on the second part: short-term harm is acceptable providing the good outweighs the bad. I.e harm for the greater good. Even this isn't easy, so Wiccans must carefully consider their intents and purposes before casting spells. Magic is not the answer to everything.

Now, you might be wondering, 'What happens if a witch breaks the Rede; there's no-one with authority to deal with them'. Yes and no. There is no being with authority, although if they are hell-bent on causing harm, other witches will use the second part of the Rede to take action against them. There is a more ethereal force at work, however. That is the Rule of Three, also known as the Threefold Law, the Karmic law, the Law of Threefold Returns, Karmic justice or a wide range of other names. Basically, this states the following: Whatever energy you send out, be it positive or negative, will return to you threefold. Hence good 'luck' and bad 'luck'. One major way of taking action against errant witches is to invoke a spell known as a 'three times three' spell, which forces the Law of Three to take immediate effect upon the wrongdoer, rather than waiting for when it happens naturally (which could be minutes or years or anywhere in between) This is a good spell to use in that case, because it cannot backfire on the caster. If the 'wrongdoer' has done no wrong, then it will reflect good luck on them. If they are still trying to cause harm after that, then a binding is usually cast, but bindings are dangerous and can easily backfire. Ironically, it is the Threefold Law that causes spells to backfire when they do.

We worship many Gods/Goddesses, which ones a Wiccan follows is up to the individual, I personally am attuned to Bast, the Ancient Egyptian cat Goddess (How many of you saw that coming? :p) and Hecate, the Goddess of magic and Witchcraft.

For those of you that were wondering, but were too afraid to ask; yes some witches do perform rituals 'nekkid', again that is personal choice, and it is referred to as 'skyclad'.

Since we Wiccans are very fond of the arts (that does NOT mean we are any good at them personally :p ), I'll finish this post with a poem/rhyme about Wicca :)

Bide the Wiccan Laws we must
    In Perfect Love and Perfect Trust.

Live and let live,
    Fairly take and fairly give.

Cast the Circle thrice about,
    To keep the evil spirits out.
    To bind the spell every time,
    Let the spell be spake in rhyme.

Soft of eye and light of touch,
    Speak little, listen much.

Deosil go by the waxing moon,
    Chanting out the Witches’ Rune.

Widdershins go by the waning moon,
    Chanting out the baneful rune.
    When the Lady’s moon is new,
    Kiss the hand to her, times two.

When the moon rides at her peak,
    Then your heart’s desire seek.
    Heed the North wind’s mighty gale,
    Lock the door and drop the sail.

When the wind comes from the South,
    Love will kiss thee on the mouth.
    When the wind blows from the West,
    Departed souls will have no rest.

When the wind blows from the East,
    Expect the new and set the feast.

Nine woods in the cauldron go,
    Burn them fast and burn them slow.

Elder be the Lady’s tree,
    Burn it not or cursed you’ll be.
    When the Wheel begins to turn,
    Let the Beltane fires burn.

When the Wheel has turned to Yule,
    Light the log and the Horned One rules.

Heed ye Flower, Bush and Tree,
    By the Lady, blessed be.

Where the rippling waters go,
    Cast a stone and truth you’ll know.
    When ye have a true need,
    Hearken not to other’s greed.

With a fool no season spend,
    Lest ye be counted as his friend.
    Merry meet and merry part,
    Bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Threefold Law you should,
    Three times bad and three times good.
    When misfortune is enow,
    Wear the blue star on thy brow.

True in Love ever be,
    Lest thy lover’s false to thee.

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
    An ye harm none, do what ye will

Blessed be :)

18. Prototype

humm..interesting, but didnt think youd be a believer in magic eh looney....now i know the def of looney...Im kidding mate..............Im impressed mate..............althought for some reason I like that poem, sounds familiar..............seems like Ive heard it for such a long time, ohh well........reminds of of the ten commandments but just a slight diff..........................huge diff ;D anyways dont you think allowing others to know that actual magic does exist like you ay the wiccans and witchcraft is going a little too far...........betya yeh freak some of these peeps out with your words mate.........lol...........j/k..naww really, me personally I believe in alot of things and in the impossible, after all take religion, the popes and pope followers do practice magic, people do get scared when you say magic and witches.....and exoscism........practically its all the same............religion has always practiced magic for the greater good, and yes like looney said there are some rules you gotta follow....althought I personally dont know anything bout magic and havent gone along to try it........I do believe one thing...............power isnt something thats given to you...its something that you must create with your own self, heart, mind, ability to think and do........althought being given power is nice.......;D :p just be careful who you give info bout magic and stuff looney...some peeps will prob think people not bound by reality (magic....etc etc.......) are craizy.......then again whos actually sane in this world.