1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What does all this hippy jargon mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KMC, May 15, 2007.

1. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

What does "Legacy" mean? What does it mean if it has something else beside the name? And what are the symbols "E", "J", and "U"? What if i see a "Q"? Don't mean to sound like a noob but i honestly don't know.

2. Reider

Reider Modereider

I'm assuming you're talking about the names and whatnot you see at the end of the ROMs?

"Legacy" to my knowledge is one of the people/groups that dump the ROMs for people to download freely off the internet.

The "E", "J", and I'm assuming you meant to put a "U" instead of another "E", are the regions the ROM is meant for.

"E" stands for Europe.
    "J" stands for Japan.
    "U" stands for the US.

I hope that answers your question.

3. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

Thanks, and i'll be sure to edit my post. So that means "Q" is from Quebec? And i hope i'm not getting out of line here but where might i be able to getmy hands on such wares? Is it costly?

4. Karthegrax

Karthegrax Guest

What wares? you mean roms? Thats what this whole site is about! And they're free!

5. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

No "wares" is a term used in olden times to mean stuff. Where can i get the stuff to make it. If it's too complicated then i can't do it, but then again i am a slacker. :p

6. stripe

stripe Well-Known Member

(I) italian
    (G) german
    (F) french
    (S) spanish
    and their are others but i can think of them anyone?

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

(K) Korean
    (C) China
    (D) Dutch

there are probably a couple more, can't be bothered to check the flags we have. :)
    (Legacy) are the people who dumped the rom, think of it as giving credit where credit is due.

Dumping a rom yourself is a tad hard, first you need the hardware to read the game cart, that itself is a little expensive, then you need the knowledge on how to bypass the copy protection.

With that said it's not impossible to do it, whenever you see a game released with (iND) it means it was an independant person who did it, no who has no affiliation with any release group. This usually means there were no protection on the ROM too. ;)

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have hardware that can dump roms myself, however since what I have is a standard EEPROM programmer, using that to dump roms would involve the destruction of the cart; since I would have to remove the chip from the PCB inside the cart.

9. stripe

stripe Well-Known Member

ah i didnt know this i always thought that (iND) whas some release group ???
    another thing i learned today :)