1. This forum is in read-only mode.

what do you think??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rell, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rell

rell Well-Known Member

today when i get home, i get bitched out by my mom. she's saying that the cable company is trying to sue us because i was downloading torrents... also, they said if i was to terminate(delete) all the files immediately, tt all charges would be dropped.
    the moment she told me that, i almost SH**T my pance. i read one article saying that a lady got sued for 3 mill just for downloading 3 songs
    whats your opinion on what to do??

2. Reider

Reider Modereider

Sounds fake to me. You got a copy of the message your mother received?

3. rell

rell Well-Known Member

it came from the charter internet company, and yes i looking at the paper right now, im sure its not fake, because the named some of the stuff i had downloaded. you think that their just trying to scare me out of pirating?? i wasnt really pirating though, i always delete stuff aftter watching or plaing. i dowloaded the torrent from isohunt also.

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

So you downloaded illegal files, but you weren't really pirating? Ok then.....

They send that out, it's real, usually companies send out a few and disconnect your internet, well mine used to, some companies will terminate your internet for good if they get too many notices about your illegal downloading.

5. Reider

Reider Modereider

Well if that's the case, it might be in your best interest to delete the content in question so you can avoid getting sued then.

6. MerchantGhost

MerchantGhost Member

Definitely delete everything then. And while on the topic, could this happen form downloading stuff from Romulation? Everything here is direct download, not torrents. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

7. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Most likely not, they usually catch you with torrents because one of the companies like the MPAA has put their own seeds on it so they can find people.

8. MerchantGhost

MerchantGhost Member

Ah. I got a little worried there lol.

9. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Get the files off your hard drive to an external or burn them off then delete them off the hard drive.

I got busted by my ISP 3 days after downloading from a torrent, and was shut down until I deleted said file and I understand the term delete as removing from the hard drive which I did after putting them onto a DVD first. ;) Anyway like I said they asked me over the phone to remove the files and if I would they would turn my internet back on. After that I stayed clear of torrents for awhile but I still find what I want without depending on torrents just takes longer but harder to get busted...at least so far anyway.

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Could Peer Guardian prevent ISPs noticing that you're downloading these files?

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It will help stop other people from noticing you what you are downloading and reporting you to your ISP.

But uTorrent supports IPFilter, so you don't need to use Peer Guardian.

12. maggiemaymay

maggiemaymay Well-Known Member

In Canada, it is not illegal to download mp3 or roms. There is no law in place like the US. I believe it also applies to torrents. I haven't done torrents because I don't know what to do. I belong to a forum and they talk about torrents but they never said anything about being caught.

13. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I doubt many would admit getting caught in the first place, but it took years before I was caught, and it was a mistake on my part so in a way I was asking for it. LOL

14. rell

rell Well-Known Member

i was following that," delete files within 24 hours" rule. i usually just download file and use it for a day and delete them. the only raeason i got a notice is because, that stupid tyler perry movie my girl friend just had to see, as its still in theaters.
    is it true that if you delete the file with 24 hours that it isnt pirating??

15. Reider

Reider Modereider

No, that law never existed. Its illegal regardless of you deleting it 24 hours after the download or not.

16. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

You have to make sure that the file is 100% deleted [no traces of it left from your drive]. And that so-called 24-hours law does not exist.

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

interesting...i've never heard of this before. i usually don't torrent and when i do it is for a linux distro...

but there actually isn't a 24 hour rule.....someone just made that up (or so i've heard from many a sources!) and yes......even if you do the 24 hour rule it is still pirating!! also....i usually let my friends do torrents for movies!! i hate using the mass torrents where there is no download speed......too slow for me!

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah-that is why I avoid torrents despite being safer than limewire :(

I got a tip...but for your protection it's in a pm.
    Post Merge: [time]1257833229[/time]
    BTW I would not advise anything about piracy once tracked, stay away for a bit and after a few months...prehaps try romU only for your downloads...they might be watching you for a bit now :(

19. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

everything is safer than limewire... robbing a bank... is safer than limewire, attacking Barack Obama... is safer than limewire, happy slapping the queen... is yes! you guessed it, safer than limewire.

20. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

I recall someone getting threats about 3 files,but that was because she uploaded them to a file-sharing site-not because she downloaded them.
    Maybe whoever has had their copywright infringed calculates the amount of money theyve lost out on by the amount of downloads and seeks to get it back-LOL.