1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What do you think about emulation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lille_mac, Dec 19, 2008.

1. lille_mac

lille_mac Active Member

Why emulate?
    Why illegal if it's a good way to relive childhood memotires?
    just wanted to know your opinion ;D

2. lille_mac

lille_mac Active Member

well since no one has posted yet :'(
    let me start:

I think emulation should be legal for the old consoles because
    the normal stores don't sell them anymore and because "most"
    of the people emulate to remember and relive their childhood.
    But i also think emulators for the bit newer consoles should
    remain illegal.  ;)

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

emulators are completely legal. it is the rom images/isos which are not.

4. lille_mac

lille_mac Active Member

hmm... that's a bit weird it's like having a lamp with no light bulb.
    But even though the law is still in the way for reliving your childhood
    memories. but thanks for your post ;D

5. Loonylion

it's not weird, emulators are intended to be used by people developing their own games/applications.

6. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

If emulation is illegal, take me to jail now. I really enjoy using emulators. Well, as for the ROMS, I can't comment on that part. :-X

7. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

well to be honest, to me thats a quesion that shouldnt be asked :p lol, i love emulation!!! :D

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes they are legal. It's what you do with them. I enjoy emulation, makes everything a lot easier.

9. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Well, emulators are legal as long as they don't use the official bios. If the bios is copied from the actual system (like many PSX Bios) then it's not actually legal.

The big thing with the whole Dreamcast and Bleem! thing was that Bleem didn't use a copy of Sony's Playstation Bios, it was entirely self made, and by that there weren't any copyrights being violated. And it played actual PSX discs, so it wasn't pirating games either. Bleem! was entirely legal from a copyright point of view, but Sony had enough money and muscle to force it out.

10. Loonylion

no, the emulator is still legal, the bios is not.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I got to agree with lille_mac. I do use emulators, mostly for the older consoles. OK I did use no$gba for the NDS, thus contradicting what he said about using emulators only for reminiscing the fun we had on the older defunked consoles, but that was for just getting to know what DS games are like.

So anyway, I like playing on emulators for another reason, & that is the Fan translations of old games. I mean say I found a "real" hard copy of Romancing Sa Ga 3 for my SNES, would I be able to play through it smoothly with it still in Japanese? Hell no! Another of my reasons is for me to re-acquire my old NES (FamiCom actually) games collection. I did at one time have actual FamiCom game cartridges but over time they began deteriorating & non-playable, so is my FamiCom console that already croak many many moons ago.

I also agree with Anandjones that it's not a matter of the emulators & ROMs you acquire being legal or not, it's what you do with them afterwards is what's important. If you just acquire Emulators & ROMs for testing out new titles before you actually buy the real thing, to save money on purchasing a potential let down, then that's acceptable. Also, I think, if your reason's the same as mine, playing to reminisce the good old days, then I guess that's fine too. But if your goal is to profit from piracy, then that's down-right wrong, you should be burned at the stake or something like it for doing that.

12. lille_mac

lille_mac Active Member

yeah just like you said Cahos Rahne Veloza i'm playing them to remember the good old day's
    like spyro the dragon for the playstation, croc, crash bandicoot and all that and not for getting
    a profit from piracy(burned at the stake or something). So you say what i am doing is completely
    legal, please reply thx ;)

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yes, as long as you keep those games for yourself (& your immediate family members) & not profit by them it's perfectly fine. To hell with the copyright laws :p

Oh & this only applies to the classic consoles & ROMs that were discontinued OK, don't get me wrong. As for the newer games, be mindful, only get them here on RomUlation to try them out, then later save up on money & buy the real thing, if you liked what you played :)

14. lille_mac

lille_mac Active Member

thank you Cahos Rahne Veloza for immediate answers ::)

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

You're Welcome & oh, Cahos or CRV's just fine :)

16. lille_mac

lille_mac Active Member

hehe thanks that would help a lot cause you have a big name :p

17. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

well most emulator rules are:

once you download a rom and you dont own it legally, you must delete it in 24 hours...

But lets just forget about that..... :D

18. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

That's actually a bullshit rule, which is made up.

19. zinectics

zinectics Well-Known Member

so if emulators are legal [thank god ^^]

but it is sad to hear that roms/isos are illegal [oh my god >.<]

so now the question is

Is there any legal roms/isos out there?

^^

20. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Homebrew stuff. Stuff made by people and freely distributed to players.

Basically it's all copyrighted (even homebrew, technically), and it's up to the copyright holder to allow you to distribute it. Of course, it's also up to the copyright holder to stop you from distributing it, meaning that many places just distribute them until they get official word to stop (with an "or else!" attached).