1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What do you find safer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mataloski, May 15, 2007.

1. Mataloski

Mataloski Member

So when you guys download roms what do you find safer.. Torrents or off a website? I've done torrent (for psp games) but I got caught once :( But good thing my interent company only threaten to take it away so I'm kind of scared of where to download games for my new DS. (Great system had lots of fun if you dont have one i recomend getting one) So what do you all think? Which is safer and why.

And yes i know buying the games is the best way. But i just dont swing that way for some reason ;D.

2. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

I'm right there with ya buddy. ;) I would say downloading of a site because from torrents you don't know who the hell (and most times what the hell) your getting from said seeders.

3. Karthegrax

Karthegrax Guest

Mee agrees. Websites are the way to go. Otherwise you can get your friend to get it for you and then they have to put up with all the crap you get with it! ;D

4. stripe

stripe Well-Known Member

you can try downloading them with emule(go here for links to download roms with emule)
    i did it to because its much easyer to get all of the roms at once
    and with romulation i can only download 2 roms at the same time

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

trouble is with P2P programs like emule is the RIAA inject fake files containing a trojan which sends information about you to them. In addition, a lot of other people put up fake files containing viruses for reasons best known to themselves. The same arguement used above for bittorrent about not knowing who you're downloading from also applies here.

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I prefer torrents because of the speeds, and when using peerguarding the risk of being caught is greatly minimized. Torrents are not that black and white though, if you get them from a public tracker such as the pirate bay then you're most likely to be watched by a couple of law enforcement agencies. If RomUlation were to start a tracker then it would be a whole lot safer.

Of course in the end download from a webserver is a whole lot safer as the only way anyone could see who downloads from here is to subpoena it.

7. stripe

stripe Well-Known Member

i have bad memorys of all the torrent stuff
    i cant get higher then 30Kb a second and i open all the ports for bittorrent and all the other stuff
    now i think my ISP is narrowing the bandwidth for bittorrent
    thats why i download with usenet(315Kb a second) and i dont have to upload anything
    and here in holland you can download but not upload because then your violating the law... ;D

8. Seph

I always get roughly 1 mb/s at torrents. :)

But then again, I don't download that much, when I do it's usually something popular so it has plenty of seeds.

9. stripe

stripe Well-Known Member

even with popular torrent i get slow speeds :mad:

10. Seph

I suppose you have a shitty ISP then, torrents are ideal for high speeds as you have often up to 400 different sources to download from, even if each person contributed on 5 kb/s that's still more than plenty for most connections.

11. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

And if the website gets subpoenaed then you just get a magnet and wipe the whole sever(s) to make sure that everyone is safe.

12. Loonylion

no, we don't keep the logs :p

13. Seph

Oh yeah and then spend fifty years in jail... Not that we're capable of it anyway, the server is in the US, we're in Denmark and the UK. :)

But realistically what's the chance of that happening?

14. Loonylion

meh, I could do it remotely anyhow. so long as bush is president. I simply send him an email saying theres a group hiding in the d.c using a remote control robot in the white house to kill him. Normal bush reactions take place and two birds are killed with two missiles and one button :p

15. Mataloski

Mataloski Member

haha went from which is safer to what downloads faster. Thanks for the input tho. Seemed pretty half half. When i got caught that one time I was all.. "Here comes a big fat fine" but all they said is just "Do it again and your interent connection will be terminated"... The sucky part is where i live. I only have one interent provider around here so I just cant switch to another isp. So I'm kind of picky of what I download. This site is the really great tho. I've also never seen such nice people. Not one bad comment. So seph keep up the good work ;D Please feel free to tell me what the rest of you think. I'm always going to check this to see what you think.

16. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

Until you go to sleep. :eek:

17. Seph

Come on, a little seriousness.
    I got caught downloading a movie for my brother once. My ISP said the exact same thing, do it again and we will terminate your contract. I didn't though...

I've since then changed ISP several times so I doubt it's even on record any longer.

18. KMC

KMC Well-Known Member

Alright, i know a site that knows a site. I have so many resources for downloads not of the legal kind it's amazing. But my ISP hasn't found me out ever. Maybe it's because i use a firewall. Oh, wait! The best thing you can do if your account gets terminated is to get a laptop (if you don't already own it) and search for wifi hotspots in your location. That way Billy's* Internet will get terminated instead of yours. Not nice for Billy but then again he deserves it with such a name.

*Billy can stand for anyone

19. Seph

It's not your ISP that finds out, they couldn't care less. It's some monitoring company such as RIAA that notifies your ISP trying to get your name based on your ISP. Most ISP's just tell the user and leave it.

20. Loonylion

Actually they do care. They want you downloading stuff so you use up more bandwidth giving them an excuse to charge you more.