1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What did you watch before the anime boom?

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by duderedux, Nov 28, 2008.

1. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

I just want to know what toons/shows people were watching before anime got so common.

I'm getting pretty tired of anime(plots, style, manga). Suggest something new(old) to watch, what were your favorites?

I used to watch Conan the adventurer, GI Joe, M.A.S.K. and the Spiderman cartoons from 94/95.

2. hahahahaha

hahahahaha Well-Known Member

Does pokemon and digimon count? If not, spiderman.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I used to watch 70's to 80's American Cartoons like G.I. Joe, Transformers, Centurion, Ghostbusters, he-man.... there's too many to list them all.

Quite frankly cartoons back then were awesome compared to most of the newer ones.

4. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

i watch some of the old cartoons, like transformers, thundercats, mask, he-man and so on.

i also agree that the old cartoon is better then the new one.

anyway the 1st anime i watch before anime become famous in my area is Sailormoon, Dragon Ball and Digimon

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I forgot to answer that part, sorry. Technically the first anime I watched was Laserion but I never knew it was Japanese because it was voiced over nicely, really sounded good American English, followed by Astroboy, then Macross. The first anime I watched that was voiced over in my local language was "Little lord Cedie", who was voiced over by the lady who voiced over Sailormoon :D

6. meminpanda

meminpanda Well-Known Member

the first anime i watch before knowing about it was
    dragon ball, samurai pizza cats, sakura card carptors, TMNT (teenage mutant ninja turtles) the old ones are awesome (for me)
    and some of super campeones (dont know how its called it english but in japanese its captain tsubasa)

7. tomitanoshii

tomitanoshii Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same with Cahos. I remember watching those too plus some other animes that i forgot the names...

off topic:Cahos Rahne Veloza!! I know where you from!! ( i think) :)

8. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

My first anime was Sailormoon, which most likely attributed to my only-play-as-a-chick standpoint in games and such..

Before the large anime boom and Naruto had to corrupt the souls of my fellow teenage nerds, I enjoyed Black Cat and To Heart. Black Cat is fairly standard but between the anime and the manga there's enough life in the characters to make them interesting.

9. zinectics

zinectics Well-Known Member

i remember watching when i was a kid

teenage mutant ninja turtle, i even played it in SNES [i think it was a snes, correct me if im wrong]or in our country we call it FAMILY COMPUTER

my first dose of anime for me was when we first had a cable service in our town

and i always watch AXN

ninku
    you're under arrest
    ghost in a shell
    gate keepers
    sakura wars
    king of fighters
    BOYS BE [my first glimpse of adulthood ^^]
    samurai x
    slam dunk [even though basketball hates me when i am always travelling]
    vandread
    my favorite of all axn anime GENSOMADEN SAIYUKI ^^

and many more

can't seem to remember them ^^

10. wine_red

wine_red Member

hmm, I remember watching:
    akazukin chacha
    something with the word zenki
    anime versions of princess sarah and ceddie (mostly the former)
    voltes V
    ghost fighter (yu yu hakusho)
    neon genesis evangelion (never shown again, ever)

I admire all these titles since even with the lack of technology, they had the dedication to create more than a hundred or so episodes ('looks at gundam'). Anime nowadays last for at least 20 or so episodes (I can even name two titles that have only one and three episodes), even with the technological advancements. except for naruto which wastes at least 20 minutes by making the characters gasp over any minor thing, and entire episodes where ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the plot unfolds, but I still like the series.

Almost lost my cool there.

11. zinectics

all of this animes were aired in my country wine red

what a coincidence ^^

12. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

when was the anime boomb?, i dont thank i was alive before the anime boomb

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

"Boom", not "bomb".

Boom in this context means an overload of a fad or trend.

14. tenchan4

tenchan4 Well-Known Member

15. iain1970

iain1970 Member

Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny and most of the Hanna Barbera stuff. Battle of the Planets hit our screens and I think that was the first of the Anime style cartoons I saw and Dogtanian, Willy Fogg and Mysterious Cities of Gold followed on.

Here in the UK though, we benefitted from Bob Godfrey's Roobarb, Henry's Cat and the Cosgrove Hall classic Dangermouse amongst their stop motion animation.

Bring back the good old days.

16. wine_red

wine_red Member

You from the philippines?

I remember watching various marvel cartoons, the mega man cartoon series, plus more anime on a major channel here in my hometown.

17. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

I watched lots of Johnny Quest, Speed Racer, some of those old Transformers cartoons and The adventures of Tin Tin. Those were the days...... :D

18. zinectics

yup were both on the same country PHILIPPINES ^^,

you can see it in my sig [thanks to sir cahos for the sig]

btw

check this thread wine red

it's kind of a thread for us Filipinos

Calling all Filipino RomUlation members

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php/topic,3944.0.html

19. Renji217

Renji217 Well-Known Member

Because Astro Boy and Salor Moon count as anime then it would be X-Men and Transformers. Although I still think Transformers, or atleast the early 1990's Transformers, counts towords anime.

20. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

anime...prolly Btx, inuyasha, sailormoon, and dragon balls.