1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What can i do to prevent dolphin crashes?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by thasere, Sep 30, 2012.

1. thasere

thasere Member

Im aware that topics like these are pretty common, im sorry. But i can only rely on knowledge based on my own computer specs and current dolphin setup, so here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 Processor 3.4 ghz
    RAM: 16.0 GB
    HardDisk: 1TB Memory\
    System type: 64-bit Operating System

My dolphin settings:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I usually overclock for 4ghz and put the emulator on high priority. The game im trying to play is Tales of Symphonia and i dont really care about sound cuz i know thats pretty much screwed no matter what, but i just wana be able to play without crashes and ive spent many hours with trial and error trying to play crash-less. Im able to play with max graphics and pretty max fps, but then i start crashing frequently. When i play with lower emulator modifications i get way lower fps(like 25-40 sometimes less), and usually no crashes with some exceptions. I play pcx2 games like tales of the abyss, ff10, xenosaga and high-demanding modern games with max settings and no problems... i dont understand the dolphin's issues with symphonia at all.

tl;dr: based on my setups what would be the best solution to have at least high fps without crashing?(dont care much about bgm sound as it is rather pointless)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

dolphin is much less developed than pscx2

Use the JIT recompiler at native resolution (800x600, 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC)), and an opengl backend if there is one (or a higher directx)

3. thasere

thasere Member

After crashing again, windows came with a message saying that it would fix the issue and after that i played it with no crashes at all for an hour until i turned it off. That is the longest single session ive played it and i cant seem to get it to do that again :s Do you know if its possible that i can do that again? I cant quite remember what the message said but it was to fix it so that it would work with windows.
    Post Merge: [time]1349078918[/time]
    Okay, i suppose the main problem from crashing was when i frequently got out of full screen mode since im a heavy multi-tasker. Guess ill have to get my laptop when i play from now on!

4. viccie211

viccie211 Well-Known Member

What game are you trying to run and did you try asking it at the Dolphin forum? (I don't want to advertize, but I think they really can help you betther there: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/index.php )

5. YoungLean

YoungLean Member

The first question I pose is, have you checked if any up to date compatibility lists are available?

My second question is have you looked to see if any previous versions of the emulator work better for that game? I know that happens a lot with emulators with so many builds of it being released.

You should try tweaking the settings a little more and make a note of what happens every time.