1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What after R4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Castor Krieg, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Castor Krieg

Castor Krieg Member

Hi there,

After a year I found my DS (lol!) and I discovered the firmware updates ended April 2008. What flash card should I buy now that can keep up with the newest games and security they put on it? I'm looking for slot-1 device with drag-and-drop mechanics same as in R4. Doesn't have to be music, just need to have play new games. Also, is R4 not working for newest games for sure? Are there any groups patching games to use with 1.18 firmware?

Thx a lot for all the help!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

cycloDS is the best current one, or if that is too expensive then EDGE or AceKard2

3. Castor Krieg

Castor Krieg Member

Thanks, took a look at CycloDS and it really seems similar to R4. I understand no flashing is needed after I switch from R4? Just plug it in and launch the games? Also will they continue to release new firmware in the future?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it works and is used in exactly the same way as the R4 (except with a different firmware on the microSD obviously). Games do not need arm7 patching on cyclods. As far as I know they will continue to update the firmware for the foreseeable future.

5. Castor Krieg

Castor Krieg Member

Great! One last question: I noticed Acekard 2 is about 50% cheaper, any big difference with CycloDS I should be concerned about regarding games?

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I'd say if you have the money you should get the CycloDS for the extra nice stuff such as an active development and the extra effort on software. But if you find the price steep then an Acekard will work fine for the far majority of games. I can't say how much extra you get though, because I'm happy with my CycloDS so I haven't really checked out the other carts, but I do hear a lot of good about Acekard.

7. googolplex1234

googolplex1234 Well-Known Member

I've heard that either CycloDS or Supercard DS One are the best.

I unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to try any of them.

8. cymaga

cymaga Member

I just got an Acekard and it's pretty awesome. It plays all the games i've tried and has a nice interface. Only cost me $30 shipped too.

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You don't need flashing. The whole point of Second generation flashcarts :)

10. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm in the same boat as the topic starter. Im gunna use my R4 till I cant, though. I might get a cycloDS soon, maybe. Thanks for the opinions!

11. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

i'm gonna do the switch from my R4 to Cyclo real soon. R4 being no longer updated makes it real hard to use. by the way about how much is a new CycloDS?

12. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member