1. This forum is in read-only mode.

visualnovels not quite working.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by xkoolguy90x, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xkoolguy90x

xkoolguy90x Well-Known Member

where exactly do you get it? yes i googled it but dont know where to look exactly. ive looked around but either it goes into a circle and i go back to where i start or its not the right thing. is this the right place to post this? not sure which topic this problem would go under.

2. silarry80

silarry80 Well-Known Member

visual novel 4 ds? here: http://dl.qj.net/DS-Visual-Novel-Reader-v1.5.0-Nintendo-DS/pg/12/fid/27022/catid/220
    but where can we download the .novel file?

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

What are you talking about specifically? Homebrew or? http://digital-haze.net/vnds.php

^See the readme.

4. xkoolguy90x

when i download the vnds and double click it, the winrar opens with a folder that ses vnds. i double click it and theres a bunch of other stuff. do i download the first folder i see in winrar when i click on the downloaded file into the systems folder? it ses to dod this but where is the tar.gz? it doesnt actually say it

Extract the .tar.gz onto the root of your NDS homebrew device so the path is /vnds/.

by homebrew device they actually mean the systems folder i presume. correct? sorry for being really dull

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Homebrew device is your Flashcard. It means put the files in X:/vnds/ (Where X is the drive letter of the MicroSD when you put it in your computer).

6. xkoolguy90x

but the first folder i see i unzip it to the system folder, correct? or do i have to specifically find the vnds.nds file? because inside the vnds folder is that file along with a bunch of other things. so what exactly do i send to the flashcard and in which part specifically? i have an r4 btw.

7. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

You just put the folder named vnds on the root of your microSD. Then if you want you can take the .nds file out and put it anywhere you want. Any novel you want goes in the novels folder. You can get a few novels from the site linked to up there ^. It's not that difficult.

8. xkoolguy90x

thats really all i needed people to tell me lol. so just move the vnds folder to the main window of the r4 and put vnds.nds file goes into systems. all novels go into the folder named novel. correct?

just that it ticks me off when it doesnt work. for other people it works but i have the run of bad luck.

still doesnt work. i clicked on the title of a novel and downloaded it. unzipped it into the vnds/novel folder but when i click on vnds.nds ir remains on the same screen. on the bottom screen it ses "not support adapter?" but when i hold A it shows pretty much the same thing but top screen shows screen ratio and a bunch of numbers. then free mem twice and at the bottom of freemem it ses not support adapter. something i did wrong?

9. Fredbox

Hmm... I can't think of anything else, unless I was wrong about moving the .nds file. Try putting it back where it originally was and give it another go.

10. xkoolguy90x

it doesnt work. the link anandjones provided has a few novels. lets say for example true remembrence. i click on the title and it gives me the download window right away. i download to the desktop. then double click it and winrar opens. unzip the first file you see into the novel folder in vnds. there is no file thats a .novel

unless im supposed to click on something else other than the title of the novel from the link anandjones put up. maybe the vnds file that i download im supposed to extract a few files? theres alot of stuff in the vnds folder. unless everything is needed. another thing (sorry for so many questions) where is it recommended or usually supposed to be extracted to? i extracted the whole vnds folder so it shows it next to system and moonshell. basically the main window of the ds. then i moved the vnds.nds into the systems folder. is that right?

11. Fredbox

Put the folder called vnds on the ROOT of your card (with the system folder and the moonshl folder). Do NOT just put the contents on, use the actual folder. I think you can put the .NDS file ANYWHERE. I never said put it in the system folder. If that's where you put your games, then you're weird, but ok. If it doesn't work, try putting the .NDS file back in the vnds folder.
    This is a quote from the readme that comes in the vnds folder (maybe you should try reading it sometime!!).
    "To install a visual novel, download the .novel file from http://digital-haze.net/vnds.php
    Place the .novel file as it is in the /vnds/novels/ folder."

P.S. It's 2:14am here now, so I'm going to sleep. I'll check back tomorrow though, to see if you've got it working (but I've said all I can to help).

12. xkoolguy90x

heres what i have. itll be easier to explain whats going on with pictures.

this 1 shows what i have on the root
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/xmysticx_01/Untitled.jpg

this is whats in the vnds folder. nothing was removed from it or moved around or anything
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/xmysticx_01/Untitled2.jpg

this is whats in the novel folder. true remembrance was extracted here directly from winrar
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/xmysticx_01/Untitled3.jpg

13. Fredbox

Well, now I'm a bit confused. Last time I used vnds it worked fine and I had everything set up like you do. But according to the readme, the way they do things now is different.
    Now, instead of extracting the novel from a .rar or .zip or anything, the novels seem to be in .novel format. The readme says to put it in the novel folder as is (don't extract it or anything). So you should try re-downloading the novel and just put it straight into the novels folder.
    Also, just to make things clear, when does it crash? When you load the vnds.nds file? Or does it crash later, when you try to load a novel?

14. xkoolguy90x

was the vnds supposed to appear near the games folder? on the main screen i click on nds then it shows games and vnds. im guessing thats what i shouldve been pressing. no one said that specifically.

about the novels though, what on the site do i specifically click on? the long link, title, or what? i go to the vnds but it ses theres nothing in the novels folder even though i extracted everything into the novel folder. i got it working now but i dont have any file that has a .novel next to it. is there something i specifically click on? cant find what has the .novel file

15. Fredbox

You just have to load the VNDS.NDS file. No one should have to say that, it's f*****g common sense for god's sake!
    As for the novels, to get the .novel file, just click the title of the novel. When you get that, put it in the novels folder (which is in the vnds folder). DO NOT EXTRACT THE NOVEL, JUST LEAVE IT AS A .NOVEL FILE!! I really can't make myself any clearer. I thought I made it all perfectly clear in my first post in this thread, but obviously not.

16. xkoolguy90x

the vnds.nds file was in multiple places. no one said to not click on media because thats where it is. not in the icon that ses NDS. theres a difference.

17. Fredbox

Why would you click on media?! All that does is boot moonshell. And how did it get in multiple places? You must have done that. Isn't it obvious that if you want to boot a .nds file, you choose Games?! Anyway, have you (finally) got it working?

18. xkoolguy90x

um not quite. i tried downloading narcissu this time to check also if theres a difference. clicking on the name of the novel doesnt give me the .novel file. i place it in the novel folder in vnds folder. along with the file i downloaded it folders that say background and also theres something called channel log or something. theres multiple files but none of them say anything with a .novel on it.

maybe theres something else i neeed to get or click?

oh and besides the .novel problem, it seems everything else works fine. it shows about, play, and download. but on the bottom screen it ses "no novel found in /vnds/novels" yet i extracted everything the winrar had from the files on the site that i got. i extracted everything to the novel folder in the vnds folder.

19. Fredbox

Are you sure? I just checked (for the third time) and it does for me. Are you sure you're going to http://digital-haze.net/vnds.php and clicking on the name of the novel (at the LEFT of the bunch of links)? I checked, and if you tell winrar to extract the .novel file, it does contain all the folders and files you mentioned. Are you sure you're not just downloading and then extracting the .novel file?

20. xkoolguy90x

ill try to take a pic like i did with the other time. im sure there isnt any file that ses .novel on it. unless its in a different form or in 1 of the folders. since i do need the other files, ill see if i can specifically extract the .novel file first and then ill extract everything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.