1. This forum is in read-only mode.

VisualBoy\'s framerate slows down sometimes, why is this?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by herakuzi, Jul 14, 2010.

1. herakuzi

herakuzi Member

Computer specs:
    HP
    Mobile AMD Sempron
    Processor 3000+
    1.79 GHz, 384 MB of RAM
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Ok, so just recently whenever I play Visualboy with any rom I notice that it's framerate occasionally slows down to about 30-40 fps. I figured it was just a virus or a spyware so I performed everything to full virus scans, spyware scans, disk checks, register scans, and even defragmentation. However, the problem still persists and it's a bit annoying. It's not exclusive to just one game but for all of them and I can pretty much play anything. However, I want my games to run smoothly.

I've played VisualBoy for a year prior without any problems at all so I would really like to solve this.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Post Merge: [time]1279101883[/time]
    Just to clarify the framerate slows down for a few seconds and then goes back to perfectly, normal speed.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

either because your CPU is downclocking (power management) or because some other program you have running is stealing CPU cycles from the emulator. Besides, you can't notice the framerate dropping to 30-40FPS because 30fps is flawless.

3. herakuzi

herakuzi Member

Well, it's not really the framerate but more like the percentage of the speed. It's usually around
    98%-100% but once in a while it drops down to 45%-50%. The performance is really obvious at this point. Any way to remedy the issues you just mentioned?

4. Loonylion

disable antivirus and make sure nothing else is running.

5. herakuzi

herakuzi Member

I don't think it has to do with programs running in the background stealing cycles from the VisualBoy.

I can run MAME and EPSXE without a problem and they use up way more resources or memory than the VisualBoy. Do you think it's a corrupted file within VisualBoy or is it just because my computer can't run this particular emulator? I'm confounded here.

6. Loonylion

then it could be the CPU power management throttling the CPU.

7. Batman168

Batman168 Well-Known Member

To fix that, go to control panel, and then power options, and set it to max performance under power management settings

8. herakuzi

herakuzi Member

Re: VisualBoy\\\'s framerate slows down sometimes, why is this?

There is no Max power option. How can I stop throttling?
    Post Merge: [time]1279179921[/time]
    Could it have to do with dust in my computer affect power management?

9. Loonylion

could be dust but shouldnt be. Running on mains power rather than battery usually stops it being throttled

10. herakuzi

herakuzi Member

No I mean could it be dust causing my computer to overheat thus causing throttling? Is this possible?

11. Loonylion

yes, it could be but shouldnt.

12. herakuzi

herakuzi Member

Then I'm really confused right now. What else could it be?