1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Video Recording possibilities.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xHaiTeKx, Jul 29, 2007.

1. xHaiTeKx

xHaiTeKx Well-Known Member

Is it possible to record yourself playing the PSX emulator? Most of you probably don't even know what I'm talking about but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm able to record gameplay on the N64 emulator but not the PSX emulator. The program I'm using is ZD Soft's Game Recorder. Hopefully some of you know what the hell I'm talking about.

-TeK

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

try fraps

3. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

Fraps has way too many problems and will only work on windows with a direct X driver. I really like Cam studio because it does not lag.

4. xHaiTeKx

Are you sure about that lol? I've seen some of those Photoshop tutorials recorded with Cam Studio and God himself couldn't help me understand what I was seeing. It's choppy, very. And why wouldn't you have directX? Doesn't every application that involves your computer screen use DirectX...like at least 80 percent of the time?

The problem with Fraps is that those bastards didn't make it for the public, they made it for people with PC's that came from the year 2020. A 31 second file is 174 MB...that just isn't fair. I personally didn't experience any lag with Fraps..I had it running at 30 FPS recording and my emulator would still run at the maximum FPS I set it at. But that file size is ridiculous, what is the purpose of the people behind Fraps? Don't they know that most people who record stuff on their PC is to upload it SOMEWHERE? Who the hell is going to upload 2 minutes of footage with a file size of over half a gig? LOL.

-TeK

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Obviously it's that large, it's not encoded yet, I suppose fraps can encode it while recording though that might make it a bit slower.
    But once you have your huge .avi file simply run it through virtual dub and encode it with xvid.

6. Loonylion

fraps does encode it, using a propitiatory codec which is no good to anyone that doesnt have fraps

7. xHaiTeKx

For once in my life, I have no clue what you are talking about Seph.

Well to be more specific..I don't understand the "virtual dub" part.

-TeK

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Well video in RAW format (and apparently fraps format if loony is right) is pretty large. Whenever I work with personal video the files are often double digit GB's.

To get the smaller I encode them with the xvid codec. There is a number of ways to do this; one is to use use Virtual Dub Proof that someone had too much free time in college. It's not hard to use once you get the hang of it through the documentation.

With that said though, fraps might be able to encode your video directly so look for that in options. You'll definitely want to use the xvid codex too.

9. Loonylion

Correct; I do semi-professional digital video editing as a hobby, and DVD resolution (720x576) PAL video (25FPS) takes up about 3GB per minute when it is uncompressed.

10. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

I guess that isn't the only disappointing part... :p