1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Video preview clips instead of still snaps

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

This maybe too ambitious but why not put up a 5-10 second video preview of games in the DL section instead of snapshots so DLoaders can have a better understanding of what kind of game they're about to DL.

Best of all, kinda like youtube, you can "compose" your clip to make an interesting clip.

Say for example the SIMs games, why not compose a clip where your SIM dances like an idiot then pisses all over 'cause his/her bladder's full

or why not make him faint from exhaustion & sleep like an ass in the middle of the street ;D ;D

Of course if implemented people who'll submit videos must "name" characters in games where you can rename characters as either loonylion or seph as a sign of respect.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

video is planned for an upcoming version, I don't think Seph would approve of the naming idea though.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Anybody who'd submit a video with questionable content would either be itching for a banning or is just plain crazy 'cause we all know there're kiddies visiting the site

Another idea, games that are too violent like gta or with content that maybe religiously challenging shouldn't be given videos altogether

this video concept could just be applied to games the whole family can appreciate

4. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Ambition isn't a bad thing...

er....lets not do that...

Remember the commandments...

"You shall not make for yourself an idol,
    whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above,
    or that is on the earth beneath,
    or that is in the water under the earth"
    - Deuteronomy 5:8

5. Loonylion

naming something after someone is hardly making an idol, I know people who named their kids after me. Why? I have no idea, but they did. I was named after my paternal grandfather, who is now sadly deceased. I name my computers after lion king characters, is that making them idols? I think not.

6. iamlegend

I just think there's some people who take appreciation too far...

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Uh -oh!!

Another one of loonylion's sermons, god I'd missed these but I'll stay out of this one 'cause I'm an agnostic ;D ;D

Anyhoo, back to the main topic a video would really better explain what a particular game is say for examlpe Pokemon Red Rescue Team, from the pics on the DL section its kinda hard to grasp what kind of game that was 'cause all you see are a bunch of pokemon standin' around & some text, with a video you can see how the game is really played

Plus seph, would really make a good name for Torchic & loony is kinda like Charizard :)

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

This idea wouldn't be too bad, maybe the videos could be a bit longer than 5-10 seconds, maybe 20?

9. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We considered this one more than a year ago but at that point we deemed it to be infeasible, not that WE can't do it, because we pretty much had working code, but at that time, and at this point still actually, the amount of screenshots added is very small and it's usually me who ends up adding most of them; so having videos would be even more difficult.

If we can get people with knowledge of how to record and edit videos who can show me they can do a decent amount of videos per week then I'd be fine with adding it.

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I can help with that. I'd probably do DS videos only though.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yea, most games that can be played on a decent emulator (that is, one that has video capture capabilities) could probably be given videos

12. Loonylion

the emulator doesn't need video capture, its probably better if it doesn't, and you use a program such as camtasia to record.

13. crimsondeath00

crimsondeath00 Well-Known Member

Clips would be really cool. They would be great if you've never played a game and just want a general idea of what the game is like.

14. iamlegend

I'd be willing to contribute videos if someone taught me how to record them....