1. This forum is in read-only mode.

very new to this forum: why some nds files are very small?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by plsnoname, May 12, 2010.

1. plsnoname

plsnoname New Member

I am curious as to why some nds files are very small? Are they fully functional?
    Will thank you in advance for your comments
    Thanks.
    Jie

2. Lukong

Lukong Well-Known Member

Yes, but sometimes its what your using. For example Freedom Wings is only 32mb and 3.2mb compressed. So if I use the right software I can get it to work.
    Also EUR/E and US/U are both in English unless the title isn't in english. The only reason some roms are smaller cause they have less languages.

3. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

Just a question: which games in particular seem small to you?

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I'm not exactly sure, but I bet Lukong can show you something tiny.

5. Lukong

Lukong Well-Known Member

Yes I can here are examples of small things
    https://www.romulation.org/NDS/0526_-_Freedom_Wings_%28U%29%28Legacy%29.rar.html/
    File Size: 2.7 MB

https://www.romulation.org/NDS/1082_-_Freedom_Wings_%28E%29%28WiNE%29.rar.html/
    File Size: 2.7 MB

Sometimes its just the program its compares with and sometimes its the language.
    Use a trimmer to make the sizes of games smaller if you need a site I know one.

6. theclaw

theclaw Active Member

I think since nintendo didn't want to waste money on small carts too few games would use, they raised the DS minimum size to 8MB from GBA's 4MB.

7. plsnoname

plsnoname New Member

Hi here are some nds files which i downloaded yesterday. Dont laugh, these are for my daughters....

1453 - Math Play (USA) 3mb
    2791 brain quest grades (i think this is only trial version?) 3.2MB
    2790 brain quest grades... 3.2MB
    3554 Imagine doctor 5.1MB

I have seen some which have more than 100MB, but the above nds files are too small arent they?

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It all depends on the games actually. NDS has a small screen so most images and models in games aren't very big. The games you mentioned are very simplific in their nature since they're aimed a younger crowd and as such they don't have overly many maps where users can move or images included.

Most of the really big games are so big because they are some form of adventure game with many images, many models, many maps, and most likely also video included in the game.

No game at RomUlation will ever be a trial version or a demo unless marked as such. This is for the very simple reason that the Nintendo developer license doesn't allow developers to distribute downloadble demos, they must go onto their demo carts, so it's not really possible for us to add demos outside of those very few games released on demo carts.

9. useurcamera

useurcamera Active Member

Duh. they're compressed into .zip. .rar